FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6354 Discussions

'Remote Update IP' only supports AS configuration scheme ?

Knug
Beginner

Hi ,

URGENT - Will appreciate a reply please here too. Monday 1st March in the morning I have to present my findings to the company..

Please re-confirm that the 'Remote Update IP' can only support AS configuration scheme. If this is the case this 'Remote Update IP' will not be suitable since our parallel flash loader (PFL) only supports just Passive Configuration (PC) scheme (that could be FPP or PS, our choice would be to keep it FPP)

This looks like a stopper for us at the moment trying to use this IP if it only supports AS configuration scheme ! 

We are planning to download a new application image remotely from an external host board via I2C to the FPGA (Cyclone V) on our development board (we have no external communication of the host board with the CPLD MAX V). So RSU IP will require to be used inside the Cyclone V FPGA.

What we initially require is once we receive the configuration image from remote location via I2C to then store it in the configuration device. Is this a simple receive serial data and store it in a memory ready to be send to the the flash device?  

Does the remote update IP receive the configuration image internally in a special format (ie Active Serial) before it gets stored in the configuration device that needs (flash) that requires support for AS scheme too ? 

If we have to end up writing our own 'user logic' vhdl code to do this 'Image Update circuitry' in the Cyclone V FPGA, if special formatting is required before forwarding it to the flash (in our case FPP scheme is used) does it required to be of passive nature so that the flash recognizes it or can it be just bare 16-bit parallel data?

The Remote Update IP has also a POF checking feature (detecting & verifying the existence of an application configuration image before an image is loaded) to avoid loading an invalid application configuration image that could lead to unexpected behaviour of the FPGA including system failure.

The 'User logic' must take care of this too. Isn't this the case?

The 'watchdog timer reset circuitry' will be another feature that the 'User_logic' should do but this feature is not as important yet compared to the 'remote update circuitry' stated above

0 Kudos
1 Reply
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

We realised that this is thread is a duplicated thread of 04975804. I am now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos