FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Remote Update for Cyclone Question

BFair2
Beginner
  1. In the Remote Update Intel FPGA IP UserGuide v18.0 on page 26 there is an asynchronous reset input that needs to be driven. The document states, "Asynchronous reset input to the IP core to initialize themachine to a valid state. The machine must be reset before first use, otherwise the state is not guaranteed to be valid." I can apply reset in the factory image on startup and not apply reset in the application image. My question is if due to a reconfig I leave the application image and go back to the factory image, do I have to be concerned about applying reset at startup the 2nd time in the factory image?
  2. Your answer was what occurs if there is a CRC not a logic error. Assume I have application code that triggers the watchdog timer properly and loads correctly but it is either the wrong code or I accidentally messed up the logic that detects a reconfig and will never go back to the factory image. It seems like you could brick the unit. My question is to prevent that, is it important to build a mechanism into the factory image whereby it checks a flag to see if it should load the application image rather than just blindly loading it. That way even if the application image has a logic error that prevents a reconfig, you could set a flag, recycle power, and the factory image would not load the application image and could perform another update of the application image. This would prevent bricking the unit. Does that make sense?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee
Hi Brian, 1. “The machine must be reset before first use, otherwise the state is not guaranteed to be valid." This statement refer to FPGA when you power up the device. When you power up your FPGA device, FPGA device did not know which state machine it at this time. Therefore, to guarantee the FPGA working according to your define State Machine, you need to toggle/press the RESET port/pin. Thus, once you toggle the RESET port/pins, FPGA will start the state machine at Reset State and work according to your define State Machine. For your case, “I can apply reset in the factory image on startup and not apply reset in the application image”, why do you apply reset in factory image? You need to understand that the RESET state is applied before configuration mode (before factory image & application image on startup). “do I have to be concerned about applying reset at startup the 2nd time in the factory image?” You only need to apply reset once after you power up the FPGA. If you do not power off the FPGA, you do not need to apply reset (FPGA already knows it current State machine, no need to reset again) 2. If you refer to the RU_RECONFIG_TRIGGER_CONDITIONS (Table 20 on page 33), you can use these condition instead of flag to prevent a reconfig. You also can use flag if you want, and it’s depend on how you design your HDL code. Thanks
0 Kudos