FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

SDI II IP Core - HD-SDI dual link to 3G-SDI conversion

DB
Beginner

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DB
Beginner

Hi,

I have got a question to the SDI II IP Core. I want to operate it in HD-SDI Dual Link to 3G-SDI Conversion Mode.

The documentation states the following:

SDI_II_DUAL_LINK.PNG

So, my understanding is to have 2x synchronous HD-SDI streams as an input. And the SDI II IP Core will generate a single 3G-SDI data stream from this data.

Is the block “Multiplexing” part of the SDI II IP Core?

I tried to configure the SDI II IP Core for this purpose, as shown in the figure below. My second question is, why do I have two SDI outputs? “sdi_tx” and “sdi_tx_b”?

I expected only one output with a multiplexed data stream.

SDI_II_DUAL_LINK_SETTINGS.PNG

Can you please explain?

Thanks and best regards,

David

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi David,

As I understand it, you have some inquiries related to the HD SDI Dual Link to 3Gb conversion. Please allow me some time to look into it and get back to you by early next week or as soon as there is any valid finding.

Just would like to check with you also which Quartus version and device that you are using? thank you.

0 Kudos
DB
Beginner

Hi cpchan!

Thanks for your answer. I'm using Quartus 18.0.0 and the Cyclone V 5CGTFD9E5F35I7 device.

Best regards,

David

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi David,

For your information, to enable the HD-SDI Dual Link to 3G-SDI (Level B) Conversion, you would need to configure the SDI II with the following:

1. HD-SDI Dual Link
  2. Receiver
  3. On Convert HD-SDI Dual Link to 3G-SDI (Level B)

Then you would see two serial input and one parallel RX data output.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
DB
Beginner

Hi cpchan!

Thanks for your answer. But this was not my question. Sorry.

My Intention is to realize the following:

Generate two synchronous HD-SDI Datastreams in the FPGA and transmit them in a single 3G-SDI Datastrem.

So, I have two times parallel SDI Data in the FPGA and want to connect them to a SDI II IP Core (Transmitter). The core should generate a single 3G-SDI stream.

How to parametrize the SDI II IP Core?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the clarification. As I understand it, you would like to convert two parallel HD SDI data streams into one 3G SDI serial data stream to be sent out. For your information, this is not supported by the SDI II IP. The SDI II IP can take in two serial HD-SDI data stream and convert to one 3G parallel stream. Sorry for the inconvenience. You might need to look into coding your own converter to merge the two parallel HD SDI into a parallel 3G SDI before feeding to SDI II IP (configured in 3G mode).

0 Kudos