FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5885 Discussions

Sampling time and clock

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I want to know the relation between Sampling time (not Simulink sample time in the clock) and clock time (Real-World clock period) option. I mean real sample time of the hardware (FPGA). How can calculate the required 

time per simulation timestep for the model run on FPGA. Is Real-World clock period represent the timestep of the model? 

In example the settings of the clock in my model are : 

1. the Real-World clock period is 1nsec 2. Simulink sample time is 1. 

Configuration parameters settings of the model are: 

Start time: 1 Step time: 8000  

Type: Fixed-step Solver: Discrete 

Fixed-step size: 1 

When the model is running on FPGA I can get results (Figure) through SignalTap II Analyzer. The x-axes is starting from 1-8000. Unfortunately I don't know how can calculate the time in sec.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

in SignalTap you have 8000 clocks at whatever your SignalTap sample clock is. for example, if the clock is 50 MHz, 8000 * 1 / (50000000) = 0.00016 seconds or 160 microseconds

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think you'll have some trouble trying to meet 1 ns Real World clock in an FPGA 

and i like to leave Simulink time at 1, and run the simulation for "number of samples" rather than "time". you can come across rounding errors in the self-checking ModelSim simulation with odd Simulink sample times
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you. if the clock is 1 ns so 1*8000= 8 microseconds. I got this result from ModelSim waveform. That mean each clock represent a sample step-time. So the elapsed time by FPGA to run the model for 8 sec is equal to 8 microseconds is it correct?