FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5988 Discussions

Significance of the Descriptor_ID field used by the the PCIe-Avalon-MM-DMA IP core?

Arintel
Beginner

Hi Everyone,

Please see the 0x10 - Control register in Table 69 at this link, https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/lbl1415138844137.html#nik14109056...

What is the purpose of the Descriptor_ID field? Can I put an arbitrary value in here?

Isn't the ID of the descriptor already implied by the index (or relative position) of the descriptor in the descriptor table?

When I write to RD_DMA_LAST_PTR (section 6.7.1), should I use a matching value in the Descriptor_ID field, or should I use the index of a descriptor?

Thanks,

Ari

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

In a way your pointer is correct and the descriptor id is written by software,

should the application logic writes "1" or "0" to RD_DMA_LAST_PTR ?

>>1

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Can you please find the description of descriptor ID from the below document and , user have the access to write the decriptor ID from 0 to 127.

Page no: 9

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an708.pdf

Arintel
Beginner

Hello RahulS_Intel,

Thanks for your reply.

I read page 9 in the doc as you instructed. Unfortunately, it didn't answer my question. My question was about the rationale of the design decision for having a Descriptor_ID field in the descriptor table. I think the field is unnecessary. This is because the offset of a descriptor from the Descriptor Base Address already gives its ID. For example, the Status portion (with "Done" bits) of the Descriptor Table does not need a Descriptor_ID field. Please see the excerpt below.

DT.PNG

What happens if the application logic writes a "1" to the Descriptor_ID field of Descriptor 0? To start the Read DMA process for this descriptor, should the application logic writes "1" or "0" to RD_DMA_LAST_PTR ?

Thanks,

Ari

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

In a way your pointer is correct and the descriptor id is written by software,

should the application logic writes "1" or "0" to RD_DMA_LAST_PTR ?

>>1

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Let me know , you need further assistance

Arintel
Beginner

Hi RahulS,

I don't have any more questions, for now. Thank you very much for your help.

Ari

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Really glad to know .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to click on Select as Best answer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------