FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Stratix 10 - Transceiver reconfiguration settings for 10G and 20G link rate

HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am using Stratix 10 SoC Dev kit for high speed communication PoC. The communication link must negotiate to either 10G or 20Gbps link rate. If I see the Native PHY for Stratix 10, I need to use GX XCVR type for 10Gbps and GXT XCVR type for 20Gbps. My question is whether I can achieve the 10Gbps and 20gbps functionality in a single binary with the help of Dynamic reconfiguration block? If Yes, please guide me the procedure to configure the Dynamic reconfiguration profiles by changing XCVR types to GX and GXT.

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi HPB, You are right, the note seems confusing. For your information, I have consulted Factory and get to know that this feature is already supported with the current latest Quartus release ie 18.1Pro. This seems to be a typo in the user guide and I have filed a case to remove the confusing note on future release support. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. Best regards, Chee Pin

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi HPB, As I understand it, you have some inquiries related to reconfiguring from GX channel to GXT channels. By merely based on the observation from performing some checks by playing around with the configuration in Native PHY, it seems like it is something workable as there is no specific error prompted. The following is what I did for your reference: 1. Open up a S10 H-Tile Native PHY 2. Select Low latency GT preset, change to 1 CH and then store into configuration profile 0 after enabling the dynamic reconfiguration and multi configuration profiles. 3. Change the configuration to GX and then reduce the data rate to 10312.5Mbps, then store into configuration profile 1. There seems to be no error prompted by the Native PHY. As next step, it is recommended for you to create a test bench and perform a Modelsim simulation to see if the dynamic reconfiguration will work as expected to change between GXT and GX. You can enable the embedded reconfiguration streamer to ease the reconfiguration between profiles. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. Best regards, Chee Pi
0 Kudos
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi Chee Pi,

Thank you for your explanation and I am considering simulation as well.

Further, I was going through Stratix 10 XCVR user guide and found "6.9.3. Reconfiguring Between GX and GXT Channels". Going through the same chapter now.

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Thanks for your update.
0 Kudos
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I was reading "6.9.3. Reconfiguring Between GX and GXT Channels" and found below statement.

"Dynamic reconfiguration between GX and GXT datarates will be supported in a future Intel Quartus Prime Pro Edition release."

Although, now I am able to configure 2 dynamic reconfiguration profiles with 10gbps(GX data rate) and 20Gbps (GXT data rate) in the Platform designer /qsys and able to generate HDL, above statement is creating some doubts.

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos
CheePin_C_Intel
Employee
Hi HPB, You are right, the note seems confusing. For your information, I have consulted Factory and get to know that this feature is already supported with the current latest Quartus release ie 18.1Pro. This seems to be a typo in the user guide and I have filed a case to remove the confusing note on future release support. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there is any concern. Thank you. Best regards, Chee Pin
HBhat2
New Contributor II

Thank you @cheepinc_Intel​  for getting the clarification from factory. I am using Quartus 18.1 pro.

With Regards,

HPB

0 Kudos