FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5951 Discussions

Stratix IV ALTGX rx_pll_locked failure if EyeQ enabled

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I've just spent a few days trying to track down a synthesis-only issue with a Stratix IV design containing ALTGX receiver-only channels. 

The design was created in 10.1sp1 and worked fine up until the point that I regenerated the ALTGX_RECONFIG IP in 11.1sp1. I regenerated the part because I'd added the reconfig_reset port to the part. After that point, the design worked fine in simulation, but the receiver CDR PLLs failed to lock on all channels in hardware tests. I created a minimal design that isolated the issue. It appears that the ALTGX_RECONFIG component with EyeQ interface enabled does not correctly communicate with more than one ALTGX transceiver block, i.e., rx_pll_locked works for the first four channels, but not for the rest. The problem appears to be resolved in 12.1sp1, however, I don't see anything "official" in the Altera Knowledge Base that acknowledges a problem was known to exist, and that it has been fixed. 

I've filed a Service Request. I'll post the response when I get it. I've attached the design files I submitted with the service request here in case anyone with a similar transceiver configuration is interested in them. The design files target the Stratix IV GX Development Kit. There's a readme.txt in the zip file with instructions on how to rebuild the design. There are SignalTap II traces (.PNG images) in the zip showing the difference between a working and non-working design. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
0 Replies