FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5919 Discussions

TSE SGMII with Soft-CDR and Marvel 88E1111, receive clock

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi guys, 

I am at a board design right now including a Stratix IV E FPGA and the Marvel 88E1111 phy. The SGMII pins of the phy are connected to the FPGA via true LVDS buffers. The 88E1111 has a 625Mhz rx_clk which should be used if the MAC does not support clock recovery. Do I need to connect this clock if the TSE core is configured as "10/100/1000Mb Ethernet MAC with 1000BASE-X/SGMII PCS"? 

I guess no because the datasheet of the TSE mentions that Soft-CDR is supported and I cannot find a suitable receive clock input port on the TSE. 

All I have is a 125MHz dedicated clock input which I can take from the 125clk output pin of the 88E1111 (or a dedicated clock source). Am I right? 

I compiled the core within my test project already with success (no timing errors etc). 

Thanks for your help. 

Jan
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you finished it yet? I have same phy and also a stratix IV but it wont work. I want to connect a MII interface with the tse/sgmii core.