FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

[TSE] how have the datas from fifo tse ?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I need some help about triple speed ethernet (tse) to receive and transmit datas. 

I have paid for IP-TRIETHERNET + IP-NIOS + IP-TCPIP-NIOS. 

The altera support and commercial contact told me that I need only this pack to do the gigabit... 

I add gigabit to our board. We need 10/100 and 1G in ethernet. 

We use the marvel 88E1111 like phy and cyclone II (stratix III too on other board). 

We connect the phy marvell with altera in mii / gmii mode. 

I have a nios II with the tse module. 

With the advise of altera support, I do my sopc project with the "Triple Speed Ethernet Data Path Rference Design" 

aka AN483. 

But with this exemple , I can't send my own datas or receive and display the datas that I receive. 

The module "eth_gene" can send only random datas or incremental datas and "eth_moni" can count the bytes received  

and mentionned if packets with error or not. 

I don't understand why we need other module to have the datas or to send our own messages because I paid for doing  

all in gigabit. 

If I want to use the "simple socket server " exemple code, I need to use the "sgdma" module but it is not free. 

(see in ug_ethernet.pdf 6.2) 

And why didn't tell me that I need other thing to use my tse pack ? 

So, is the sgdma module important ? necessary ? or can I create my own module to use the streaming  

(in and out) from my tse module in the nios. 

Our board must send any datas that we want and receive any datas on ethernet. 

How can I access to the datas in the fifo of the triple speed ethernet module ? 

I need help about this and it's very urgent. 

Thanks  

Cordialy, 

Benoît
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know what you mean by 'free', but I don't think you need to pay a license to use the Altera SGDMAs. 

You can use your own modules to use the streaming interfaces of the TSE, but the easiest way is by far to use two SGDMAs as in the reference design, and the standard driver for ucOS/Interniche.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I don't know what you mean by 'free', but I don't think you need to pay a license to use the Altera SGDMAs. 

You can use your own modules to use the streaming interfaces of the TSE, but the easiest way is by far to use two SGDMAs as in the reference design, and the standard driver for ucOS/Interniche. 

--- Quote End ---  

euh  

it's a bug I think 

my post is here (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24363

and Cris begins to answer to me ^^
0 Kudos