FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

TSE with SGMII in Cyclone IV GX - ALTGX_RECONFIG problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, I'm confused with this. I built a Qsys system with CPU, TSE with SGMII and some Flash/SSRAM on a Tristate bus. This all seems fine, and I can make it compile if I remove the TSE or reconfigure it with RGMII, but with SGMII using the GXB transceiver it brings out 4 reconfig signals: 

reconfig_clk : IN STD_LOGIC; 

reconfig_togxb : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (3 DOWNTO 0); 

reconfig_busy : IN STD_LOGIC; 

reconfig_fromgxb : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (16 DOWNTO 0); 

but if I generate an ALTGX_RECONFIG block (from ug_ethernet.pdf): 

For designs targeting devices other than Stratix V and 

Arria V, Altera recommends that you instantiate the 

ALTGX_RECONFIG megafunction and connect the 

megafunction to the dynamic reconfiguration signals to 

enable offset cancellation. 

I get the following signals: 

reconfig_clk : IN STD_LOGIC ; 

reconfig_data : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (15 DOWNTO 0); 

reconfig_fromgxb : IN STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (4 DOWNTO 0); 

write_all : IN STD_LOGIC ; 

busy : OUT STD_LOGIC ; 

channel_reconfig_done : OUT STD_LOGIC ; 

reconfig_address_out : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (5 DOWNTO 0); 

reconfig_togxb : OUT STD_LOGIC_VECTOR (3 DOWNTO 0) 

so where does "reconfig_data" come from? Why is "reconfig_fromgxb" 5 bits wide on the reconfig block, but 17 bits wide on the TSE? How do I hook the two together to make it compile (because if I don't connect them it moans that it needs to be connected to a DPRIO block to work)? 

I have worked with DPRIO and ALTGX reconfig blocks with SDI video and there the bus widths match, the SDI megacore generates a .MIF file for the reconfig data, etc.  

Any clues greatly appreciated. There don't seem to be any reference designs using SGMII! 

Cheers, 

Simon
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Simon, 

regarding this issue I have a few ressources and links for you to check out. Unfortunately I can't post them right now because my post count needs to be at least 5 before I can post links... :rolleyes: 

However, since my post count is 4 right now, my answer will be in the next post! :D
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Why is "reconfig_fromgxb" 5 bits wide on the reconfig block, but 17 bits wide on the TSE? How do I hook the two together to make it compile (because if I don't connect them it moans that it needs to be connected to a DPRIO block to work)? 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello Simon, 

I ran into the same issue and found a knowledge base entry adressing your question: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd11022010_910.html 

For Cyclone IV GX devices, only 5 bits [4:0] out of the 17-bits wide bus are connected. 

--- Quote Start ---  

There don't seem to be any reference designs using SGMII! 

--- Quote End ---  

An SGMII PHY is used in the cyclone iv gx transceiver starter kit (http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyclone-iv-starter.html#documents) and as far as I can see there is at least one design example that implements it. 

Regards, 

tkxapt
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I just did the same thing except the Mega Wizard generated the correct 

matching reconfig block. I'm guessing you need to do it in the same directory and generate the sgmii module first. The the wizard seems to pick up on what is needed to match the sgmii module. None of the design 

examples show much details on implementing sgmii, especially the register 

'h14 write.
0 Kudos