FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

Trace System Megacore Function Synthesis Error

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to tap a working video design that captures live video from a CCD camera and displays it on the lcd. As, Quartus v12 provides IPs for tapping avalon-ST data i.e. avalon-ST video monitor and trace system megacore functions so i used them. BUT when when I synthesize my new design, it generates following error:  

--- Quote Start ---  

Error (10228): Verilog HDL error at altera_avalon_st_pipeline_base.v(22): module "altera_avalon_st_pipeline_base" cannot be declared more than once 

--- Quote End ---  

As far as i get it, module name "altera_avalon_st_pipeline_base" is getting repeated within the project but the path for "altera_avalon_st_pipeline_base.v" is  

--- Quote Start ---  

project directory\trace_system_1\ altera_jtag_dc_streaming\altera_avalon_st_pipeline_base.v  

--- Quote End ---  

...which indicates that error lies in trace system megacore generated files.  

does anybody have a clue how to fix this???
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to guess what might be wrong with your system but I'm guessing so please confirm that I've guessed right. 

• Are you using SOPCB or QSYS? 

• Do you have multiple QSYS hierarchies in your Quartus project (ie are you running generate multiple times)? 

• How are you including the files into Quartus? 

• What version of Quartus are you using? 

If you're adding the files to Quartus by adding the qip file which QSYS generates then that QIP file should add each QSYS hierarchy to a different library, which means that Quartus won't complain when it sees multiple copies of the file (as they are in different libraries) 

If I've guessed wrong then please provide more information and I'll try and guess more efficiently.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thnx wombat! 

• I am using SOPC Builder, 

• There is single SOPC builder hierarchy in my Quartus project 

• And its Quartus II 12.0sp2 Web Edition (32-Bit) 

There is one additional info i.e. when i expand the qip file of SOPC builder generated system with in projecy navigator, I've found "altera_avalon_st_pipeline _base.v" added twice in the project with different paths i.e.  

--- Quote Start ---  

/trace_system_1/altera_avalon_st_pipeline_stage/altera_avalon_st_pipeline_base.v 

/trace_system_1/altera_merlin_traffic_limiter/altera_avalon_st_pipeline_base.v 

--- Quote End ---  

is this the problem???
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is it possible to upgrade your project to QSYS? I suspect that if you do that will fix the problem. 

If not then please check that the two copies of the pipeline_base.v file are the same. If they are then deleting one of them should make the design compile. 

I really do recommend upgrading to QSYS unless you have good reasons why not though, as it's possible that you'll hit problems later on with SOPCB.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Unfortunately, it is not possible to upgrade to Qsys currently due to shortage of time. Nevertheless, I have deleted the redundant copies of same file and project gets compiled. BUT when i load my design in system console it doesn't detect trace system module...any ideas??

0 Kudos