FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6352 Discussions

Transceiver Toolkit (TTK) Example Designs Review (using Quartus II v15.0)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

While working on an Arria V GZ transceiver design I found I was getting timing errors in a design compiled under version 15.0 that compiled fine under 14.x. I've filed a Service Request, but haven't heard back yet. I figured that other transceiver users might benefit from my review of the Altera and AlteraWiki example designs. 

https://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/altera_ttk_examples.pdf 

I'm working on another document with more detailed examples for the Arria V GZ (which uses the same PHY as the Stratix V devices). I'll post that when I get it completed. 

IMPORTANT NOTE: The document also shows how to enable Hidden Qsys Components ... a trick I picked up from an Altera video (see the doc for a reference to the video). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your sharing on this especially on the thorough review and documentation. Looking forward for the other document. Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, just to share that I did come across where re-compiling the design with different Quartus II version and the TTK seems not behaving as expected. Using back the same version will be okay. Base on my understanding, generally Altera would recommend us to use the same Quartus II version with the design example version to ensure expected behavior.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Dave for the sharing. It is very useful. I have previously tried to create a TTK design on my own but seems like the TTK cannot fully link to the design. only a few function in TTK can be used with my design. Probably there are some customization done by Altera with the design example to work with TTK.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for sharing the doc. That is quite a compilation of the transceiver toolkit.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

Thanks for the feedback! 

Some of the issues you all may have experienced with the TTK are documented in the second document. Its not finished yet, but I'll post it now so you can see the work-arounds I have discovered ... 

https://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/altera_ttk_arria_v_gz.pdf 

https://www.ovro.caltech.edu/~dwh/correlator/pdf/altera_ttk_arria_v_gz.zip 

I've included the code so that you can reproduce the design on your own hardware, eg., I'm certain that the procedure will be identical for a Stratix V kit, with only the pin assignments needing to change. I don't have a Stratix V kit, so cannot test that. If someone has a kit, I'll create the example, and in return, you can provide me eye pattern measurements for the Stratix V version of an example document. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Altera would recommend us to use the same Quartus II version with the design example version to ensure expected behavior.  

--- Quote End ---  

Please post a Service Request to Altera and ask them to update the TTK design examples from 13.0sp1 to 15.0! :) 

I posted a Service Request with this document to Altera weeks ago, and other than an acknowledgement of receiving the SR, I have had no feedback. Bummer. :( 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have previously tried to create a TTK design on my own but seems like the TTK cannot fully link to the design. only a few function in TTK can be used with my design. Probably there are some customization done by Altera with the design example to work with TTK. 

--- Quote End ---  

Take a look at the discussion on setting up links in the second document. Chances are you experienced the same problem I did ... I figured out the work-around ... and then later found the knowledgebase articles pointing out the fundamental problem ... something that should have been fixed in 15.0 but was not :( 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for your advice. I will file a service request to Altera to for the latest TTK design examples for 15.0. The Quartus II 15.0 was released some time ago but the current design examples are still of 13.0sp1 which seems quite outdated.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thanks for your advice. I will file a service request to Altera to for the latest TTK design examples for 15.0. The Quartus II 15.0 was released some time ago but the current design examples are still of 13.0sp1 which seems quite outdated. 

--- Quote End ---  

The fact that most of them do not work correctly is pretty bad! If you try to build a design using the Stratix IV devices nothing works from the Quartus 15.0 installation! Its pretty bad that the "recommended" method of testing transceiver links does not work. I'm pretty disappointed. 

Note that I have not received any feedback from Altera regarding the SR I filed. So please keep filing SRs so that Altera gets a clue! :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos