FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6352 Discussions

Triple-Speed Ethernet IP not processing data (Instantiation Issue?)

GDagi
Beginner

Hello,

I've begun work with the Triple-Speed Ethernet (TSE) IP in order to simulate packet receiving and sending. I have an external packet generator alongside the main and testbench verilog files. I used Platform Designer (Qsys) to aid in design.

In simulation, my testbench shows proper behavior of the packet_sender, but my rx and tx signals (related to the IP core) remain unchanged. They result in x's if I don't initially give values to them. Proper behavior would have the data from the packet sender sent to the tx bus and then finally from the tx bus to the rx bus.

Below I have attached my code, Platform Designer diagram and outputting waveform.

I'd appreciate any feedback & thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi.

From your simulation, did you initialize the TSE IP register? Please refer to chapter 5.3 in the following link. Besides, I would suggest you generate the design example to run the simulation, you can refer to chapter 9 for the simulation testbench:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_ethernet.pdf

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
GDagi
Beginner

Hello & thank you for your response Seng,

Chapter 5.3 states "When using the Triple-Speed Ethernet IP core with an external interface, you must understand the requirements and initialize the registers."

1. Because I am doing internal testing and simulation, do I still need to initialize the registers?
  2. If so, would that be simply adding these lines into the testbench?
  3. How are these lines formatted? Example: "Wait Command_config Register = 0x00802220" I don't believe this is a valid assignment in Verilog.

Thank you

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

1. Yes, this still needs to initialize the register.
  2. It requires to configure the register via the AVMM interface. You may refer to the example design for the simulation.
  3. That is correct. You can refer to figure 42 for the detail of the command_config register.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos