FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5749 Discussions

Tripple Speed Ethernet (tse) Avalon-ST interface format

Konrad
Beginner

I am using the tse in small mac mode for a fixed 100M only connection.
The project is in Quartus 16.

I am a bit confused as to how the avalon-ST interface works. I have read the avalon-ST user guide, (and I have written my own sources and sinks compatible with the FIR core, using 1 & 2 channels, but this iplementation does not use the empty signal).
My question is, in 32bit wide mode, I send 4 bytes in line with the start pulse (SOP) and the remaining bytes in line with the end pulse (EOP) including the empty quantity.
What if my last packet is only 3 bytes for example. Do I send 3 bytes in line with SOP and set the empty number to '1'?
Do I subsequently send a EOP by itself (i.e. with padded data)?
What if my last packet is only 4 bytes for example.

Konrad

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

If you are using datawidth = 32 bits then you must use "ff_tx_mod[1:0]" so called empty signal to mask out invalid/extra data transfer in last data packet sent.

Else you can also consider to use datawidth = 8 bits to give you more flexibility in taking care of last data packet transaction issue. Then you will not face the problem anymore.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Konrad
Beginner

OK, I have re-read the user guide and figured out I can assert Start of Packet (SOP) and End of Packet (EOP) at the same time if the packet is 4 bytes or less.

Deshi_Intel

ok, great.

You found another method to workaround the issue. Does it help to resolve your issue ?

Regards,

dlim

Konrad
Beginner

I still am confused.

To send 64 bytes using 32bit words for example, I send 1 word with SOP,  followed by 62 words in line with the rising clock followed by 1 word with EOP.  This is what I think is inline with the user guide.

But, the TSE Megawizard in Qsys shows an example picture when you click on the interface with 1 word with SOP followed imediately with another word with EOP to send 2 words (an 8-byte packet), followed by another 8-byte packet.

My question is therfore, do I send the whole Ethernet packet as 1 Stream Packet (which is what I am doing) or should I send the Ethernet packet as multiple Stream Packets? 

I have started testing this out and I get jumbled data out, bytes and nibbles in the wrong place/wrong order.   The output is always consistent to what I put in, (i.e. I change the send data and the output changes) but is corrupt.

I shall post the Avalon-ST output traces I am using generated by Model Sim.

I have simulated my own vhdl files, but I have never simulated built in IP.  This I suppose will be my next step,

regards

Konrad

Deshi_Intel

Hi,

You are using unique way with EOP to chop of the packet instead of using mask bit or 8 bits transfer (not 32 bits). So, yup, it's recommended for you to test it out in simulation better.

For the Ethernet packet length control,

• Min length is 64 bytes (if enabled padding and actual packet transfer is less than 64 bytes, then TSE MAC will insert padding bytes)
  • Max length is 1500

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Konrad-Techtest
Beginner

Hi,

I do not want to do this in a unique way.  I am asking which is the correct way.  I am happy to use either method.

I am using the small MAC, so I have to use 32bits.....because 8 bits is not supported.....(or have I misread the User Guide?)

regards

Konrad

Konrad-Techtest
Beginner

This is the format I am currently usingThis is the format I am currently using

Deshi_Intel

Hi Konrad,

You are right. Looks like TSE small MAC doesn't support 8 bits option.

• The only way to enable 8 bits FIFO option is to use other TSE MAC configuration like 10M/100M/1000M MAC option

The recommended and right way is to use the the mask bit signal "ff_tx_mod[1:0]" for 32 bits transfer as I explained in my first reply. You will need to modify your Tx source user logic design accordingly to use mask bit signal.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Konrad
Beginner

I have found the problem I had.  I had connected 125MHz from the PLL instead of 25MHz from the PHY.  A stupid oversight I had meant to correct.

For other users with problems, the avalon-st as in the trace I have posted seems to be correct.

I have another problem now.  I lose the first 2 bytes that I send, i.e. the upper MSB bytes of the first 32-bit word clocked into the TSE.  I can send multiple 32-bit words consistently without error, but the first two bytes are never sent.  It is as if the TSE is dropping these bytes, as the other half of the 32-bit word is OK.

e.g. I send 0x11223344 0x55667788 0x99AABBCC etc, and I receive  0x33445566 0x778899AA 0xBBCCDDEE

I am sending the data directly into a piece of test equipment that guarantees that the pre-amble is OK.

Even more confusing is that if I set the TSE to fill in the MAC address, the received MAC is in the correct place, i.e. 0x33445566 0x7788mmmm 0xmmmmmmmm

The SignalTap shows that the 32-bit words on the avalon-st are OK and not corrupted,

If anyone has any ideas as to what I am doing wrong I would love some feedback,

Konrad

Konrad
Beginner

found it, ...if you tick the Megafunction "Align to 32-bit boundaries" it clearly states in the user guide that the core drops 2 bytes...missed it

Deshi_Intel

Sound good.

You have found the 32 alignment setting.

Just wonder is your TSE project working correctly, now ?

Regards,

dlim

Konrad
Beginner

The Transmit side of the TSE is all working thanks....yes

I have still to implement the Recieve side.  It is not standard Ethernet, it is an Avionics version that uses 2 identical channels that must be compared for both content and jitter when received (in the FPGA).  It is taking me a while to plan this out,

regards

Konrad

Deshi_Intel

HI Konrad,

ok, noted.

Hopefully your receiving side project development will be smoother this time.

For now, I am setting this case to closure first as Tx side issue is resolved

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim