FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6352 Discussions

Unable to acitvate 88e1111 on DEII-115

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am unable to actvate the 88e1111 on my DE2-115. (Nios is running, config with cpu, on chip mem, 2xscattergather DMA, and 1 TSE, as in the docmentation of various tutorials, RGMII is set via jumper and selected in QSYS) 

I narrowed down my problem to a very simple program (based on the examples and the Altera Triple-Speed ethernet docs). 

First observation is that even the link LED on my switch does not come up. (cable and switch were tested with a PC). The speed leds on the DE2-115 indication the PHY baud rate and other leds near the chip stay dark. 

The data sheet of the 88e1111 cannot be found, this not helping. 

questions:  

1) What are the minimum requirements to get the link up ? Is this done by the PHY by itself (i assume) ? Does it suffice to initialize the MAC adresses, the MDIO space 0, and the right value in register 16 of the PHY. 

2) I can read and write the scratch register and read the TSE version. But if i use the following code to reset the PHY, nios hangs: 

alt_printf(" Software reset of PHY chip and wait ... \n"); *(tse + 0x80) = *(tse + 0x80) | 0x8000; while ( *(tse + 0x80) & 0x8000 ); alt_printf(" Software reset of PHY chip ok ! \n");  

I included a print of my qsys configuration, a copy of the instantiation and my C program as a .doc. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Johi.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Johi, 

the marwell datasheet can be found on www.eeworld.com.cn 

Sorry I haven't read your code yet, but the tse_tutorial.c and tse_tutorial.v from using_triple_speed_ethernet work fine on DE115 board. 

These codes were written for 1000 speed. I don't know for other speed. 

On DE115 the hardware is only for RGMII ( I asked terasic and the schematic shows it). 

If you want to only use the 1000 speed the marwell ( and some other chips ) are set in this mode when reset. 

The DDR is necessary. 

The demo code tse_tutorial is a goog start. 

I hope it will be helpfull. 

Regards.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi garfieldminou, 

Thanks for the answer. I was unable to retrieve the datasheet from the site you mentioned. The site is in a language i do not understand, it seems chinese or japanese or some other language i do not speak. 

In the mean time i have got the DE115 tse example working. The pin assignment of te Terrasic application builder and that of the DE115 of tse the example are different. Once i found this i got the example working. Morover, sometimes the leds on the 88e1111 are activated just by loading the nios code. Sometimes they need a reset from the .c code to light up. In an other example they only start working when you actually send data.  

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos