FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5881 Discussions

Uniphy DDR3 controller waitrequest simulation problem/How to simulate Uniphy memory

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello everyone, 

I am trying to simulate the DDR3 Uniphy memory controller I have just created in Qsys(see screenshot) and I am running into the following problem: 

At the beginning, the waitrequest_n signal is low, which is ok, the module needs time to initialise. Then it goes high, meaning that the module is usable, however, after just a few cycles it goes low again and doesn't change after that. 

What I think why it may be doing this, is that the simulator does not know there should be a memory connected to this module, the FIFO fills up after just a few datas arrive and stays that way as nothing is there to remove the data from the FIFO. But I am unsure that this is really the problem. 

I have used an On-Chip memory module before, and I need to replace it with a Uniphy controller, as I just need more space. How do I go about simulating external memories so they work similarly to their on-chip counterparts? I have looked at the reference design(Cyclone V, as that is my device) of the module, but they weren't really helpful. I have also looked at Section II. UniPHY Design Tutorials : External Memory Interface Handbook Volume 5; but I haven't found the memory model or the driver mentioned there. 

Thank you and Best Regards, 

Tibor
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Try generating the example design from the UniPHY IP Parameter Editor. This includes a traffic generator and a generic memory model based on the parameters you specify. If you want to simulate with the specific memory on your board, you can usually download a simulation model from the vendor of the memory and add it to your simulation testbench. 

This training is a little old, but it does include steps and a demonstration about simulating the interface: https://www.altera.com/support/training/course/omem1110.html
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Thanks for your answer, I have gone through the training course, tried generating an example design, it compiled and did the simulation. Unfortunately, as soon as I tried to compile the testbench generated by Qsys, it failed with the the error message: 

"Altera DDR3 Memory Model for UniPHY does not support the QUARTUS_SYNTH fileset". 

Then I tried downloading the simulation model from the vendor of the memory. However, the simulation model has SystemVerilog parts and thus the compiler of Quartus-Modelsim Starter Edition does not recognise some parts of it, so I cannot even try it out. I simply do not now where to get an usable model I can use for simulation. The problem is, that the SystemVerilog part is right in the memory model, not even in the testbench. 

Where or how can I get a usable simulation model in this case?