FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6354 Discussions

Updating the symbol leading to .sof not working even though logically not changed anything due to library.

VenkateshSathar
New Contributor I

Hi Intel,

Please help on the below point as this becoming a buring issue for us to solve:

There is one peculiar problem that we are facing these days with projects(I am not sure whether it may be altera quartus tool handling problem also)

The problem is as follows:

There is a project in my(@venkatesh) Downloads folder, where as in that if we didn't update anything just as a reference project it is there.

And from that when we take and copy that project for changing purpose, if there is no any peripheral related connections change we need to not to update any schematic of the project of the project but if we need any change the following error is coming:

image.png

To correct this error I(@venkatesh) was adding project path into library as follows:

image (1).png

and then update of the IP in the schematic happens sucessfully:

image (2).png

But, the main problem starts here only that after that making the sof file and checking the sof file resulting in not working.

Wanted to know what might be the reasons for that.

One more Interesting point is that to say logically something is wrong, if I remove that libary path, then .sof file generated is working fine where as for the same symbol block, if I add library and then generate .sof is not working.

But why I need to update the symbol is that, I am upgrading my project where as now one ddr controller is there in that and I want to make two ddr controller and control two ddr ram, for that the symbol peripherals changes and then I have to update the symbol in schematic.

Tool used is quartus 14.1, there is no much information also on this error in internet to get help.

Any help and suggestion is appreciated.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

What do you mean by "hecking the sof file resulting in not working"

Attach some image of result also Share information on reference designs and development kit used.

1. Is your reference project sof file working fine ?
  2. Check pin assignments.
  3. Check clock signal.
  4. Reset pin state on board.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
VenkateshSathar
New Contributor I

What do you mean by "hecking the sof file resulting in not working"

I mean that after doing the update of symbol, checking the generated sof file not working where as before for the same logic it is working.

Attach some image of result also Share information on reference designs and development kit used.

Ans: Actually, this is our custom project on custom board, where as in this project if the library path not added then things are working fine. But for the same logic library path added means not working.

1. Is your reference project sof file working fine ? Ans: Yes, without any change and with some change in it also working but without updating the schematic symbol.
  2. Check pin assignments. Ans: No difference observed.
  3. Check clock signal. Ans: In both places, it is fine because able to blink led in both cases but logic related to library path added one not working, but without library path adding not able to update symbol peripheral in schematic.
  4. Reset pin state on board. Ans: done, but these are all fine in both cases of working and not working. Only problem I am seeing with update symbol.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Thanks for information,

where as in this project if the library path not added then things are working fine. But for the same logic library path added means not working.

>> weird, Try to regenerate all the IP or qsys system  or copy the library to working directory and check

Hope same Quartus tool is used for both design development!

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
VenkateshSathar
New Contributor I

Yes, Same quaruts is used for both design development. Actually, We don't have the facility/base codes to regenerate all the IP. My worry to do that copy the library to working directory is if that also get corrupted or spoiled my golden project reference also gone right.

Any of these kind of problems have you seen with tools so that it can be solved in a easy way?

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​My worry to do that copy the library to working directory is if that also get corrupted or spoiled my golden project reference also gone right.

>>Should not be problem if you copy the library to working directory. (If you have concern, copy the project to external drive)

Any of these kind of problems have you seen with tools so that it can be solved in a easy way?

>>No!

0 Kudos
VenkateshSathar
New Contributor I

For the new project(copied from the original one) also, if I keep the library path as the reference old project also, things are working(.sof) fine but for the same logic in qsys editor, if i give library path as current project, then not working.

Even the updating of qsys with adding of some ips also working if i give library path as old project. But, beyond a point I want to second ddr as i mentioned above, for that ports change required, for that to update IP I need the current project only to be added to library path.

Then what does that mean, Actually logic in both case same right. But , how does library path affects this.

1. What does the library path include generally do?
  2. what makes it happen to do like this?
  3. One more doubt is that, if I already added the .qip file in files then still why tool expecting library path to add for update of symbol.??
0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

What does the library path include generally do?

>>Tool check the library path for supporting files do support the project creation (Example: if we have created a Timer design for project 1 and project 2 requires timer we can simply add library and instantiate the timer in project 2 ).

what makes it happen to do like this?

>>To find the issue regenerated the IP's in current project and check.

One more doubt is that, if I already added the .qip file in files then still why tool expecting library path to add for update of symbol.??

>>Tool is looking for other supporting file, You have to generate the Qsys system or IP to avoid such problem.

Attach the project and complete steps you have followed to create a second project.

0 Kudos
VenkateshSathar
New Contributor I

Attach the project and complete steps you have followed to create a second project.

Ans: I didn't create the second project, I just copied the entire first one and paste in other folder and worked there. Meanwhile, one of the IP library path set to old project path itself. When I updated to current project path then seeing this error of not working. Till that time of change the path everything is fine.

Attachment wise, that is a custom project which has own IPs and all, so I think can't share the project as of now.

0 Kudos
AnandRaj_S_Intel
Employee

​Hi,

Updating the IP library path should not be a problem.

Are using correct .sof file???

Compare the .sof file of  both the project, You should see only difference in header and footer of the sof file rest of the file should be same.

Regards

Anand

0 Kudos
VenkateshSathar
New Contributor I

Hi AnandRS,

One good news..!

Actually, now things started working fine.

How is that I will tell you:

Our vendor gave the project in .zip files and .qar files.

I was using .zip files for project usage and updating my logic where as neglected .qar files completely.

Meanwhile, He messaged us to use only .qar project files, in that any files missing happens just use .zip to copy things from that and paste here.

After that, right now working on that .qar extracted project now. No problem, with update of symbol also.

Could able to add and do data transfer to second ddr also as I was mentioned in the start of this issue description.

Could able to change the project also.

So, You guys better tell if there is any solid reason for things getting failed when using .zip and library paths etc adding with that project and passing with .qar usage.

Thanks a lot for your co-operation, infact your inputs also helped a lot to us in getting clarified about the tool usage and other things. 😃

Regards,

Venkatesh Sathar.

0 Kudos