FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5989 Discussions

Usage of ALTFP_CONVERT while converting integer to floating point

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to use the ALTFP_CONVERT mega function. I see a port called "distance" which is 5 bits wide. What is the purpose of this port? I was unable to find a mention of it in the documentation. There is no connection to it in the sample declaration in the _inst.vhd file which the wizard generated. I chose all the default options and didn't change anything. I opted to not have a clock enable or asynchronous reset. Also, does anyone know what the latency of this module is? The vhdl file says 2 cycles but that is for something called a barrel shift.  

Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I believe, you see "distance" as an optional port of one of the subentities used in the altfp function. All default and optional ports are clearly described in the ALTFP_CONVERT chapter of the Floating-Point Megafunctions users guide, also the latency of int2float is clearly stated (6 clock cycles). Did you review the full pdf document?