FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Using CIC and FIR Filters - How Rebuild Cores to 13.1 version DSP Builder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello I'm Alex, 

I'm involved in a project and trying to fly this design called:  

Designing Digital Down Conversion Systems Using CIC and FIR  

Filters. 

http://www.altera.com/support/examples/dsp-builder/exm-digital-down-conv-cic-fir.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=wcdma 

Unfortunately, now I'm using DSP Builder blockset version 13.1 

but the model TDMDDC have the cores in a previous version 7.1 

(cores FIR, CIC). 

Like a possible solution altera recommend rebuild the cores using  

this command in matlab: alt_dspbuilder_refresh_megacore 

I use this command but don't work apppear this error: 

>> alt_dspbuilder_refresh_megacore 

> cic instantiates explicitly versioned MegaCore cic > Megacore cic v7.1 could not be detected, however. > Install cic v7.1 and run alt_dspbuilder_setup_megacore, or replace the MegaCore block instance cic with the latest installed version from the Altera MegaCore LibraryError in ==> alt_dspbuilder_refresh_megacore at line 55: 

Error using ==> alt_dspbuilder_megacorealtr_launch at 189 

Unable to configure the MegaCore Simulink block cic  

Unable to locate C:\altera\13.1\quartus\bin64\ip_toolbench.exe 

Re-install the MegaCore cic 

> fir instantiates explicitly versioned MegaCore fir_compiler > Megacore fir_compiler v7.1 could not be detected, however. > Install fir_compiler v7.1 and run alt_dspbuilder_setup_megacore, or replace the MegaCore block instance fir with the latest installed version from the Altera MegaCore Library>> alt_dspbuilder_refresh_megacore 

What can i do to fix this problem with the cores, it's possible  

make a request to altera for a new model with 13.1 cores?:confused: 

Thank you for your help!  

Kind Regards, 

Alex Galaviz
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could request an update, yes. The update from 7.1 to 13.1 might not be straight-forwards as the cores have undoubtedly moved on a little; and it also requires having the original design working (in 7.1). Are you interested in using this example as a start-point for a similar design, or just as a tutorial exercise in understanding DSP Builder Standard block-set? There may be alternatives for both. The latest example designs on digital up and down conversion are based Advanced Block-set: which is where I would start if starting today. There may be some alternative tutorial designs if specifically interested in Standard blockset.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, I'm very interested in use this model like a start-point to develop a new entire system.  

I'm trying to design a feedback loop using WCDMA and LTE, but It's a lot of work try to copy  

this model, redesign and substitute with 13.1 cores. Do you recommend make a request with  

Altera, but how could make this request?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I would personally use the reference designs in Advanced Blockset as a start point, and develop using that tool. Meanwhile I will find out about requesting an update.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You could be share the reference design that you used for start?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There are a whole bunch shipped with the Advanced Blockset: 

• 4-Carrier, 2-Antenna W-CDMA Digital Down Converter 

• 4-Carrier, 2-Antenna W-CDMA Digital Up Converter 

• 1-Carrier, 2-Antenna Picocell W-CDMA Digital Down Converter 

• 1-Carrier, 2-Antenna W-CDMA Digital Up Converter 

• 4-Carrier, 2-Antenna W-CDMA DUC at 368.64 MHz with Total Rate Change 32 

• 4-Carrier, 2-Antenna W-CDMA DUC at 368.64 MHz with Total Rate Change 48 

• 4-Carrier, 2-Antenna W-CDMA DUC at 307.2 MHz with Total Rate Change 40 

• 1 Antenna WiMAX Digital Down Converter 

• 2 Antenna WiMAX Digital Down Converter 

• 1 Antenna WiMAX Digital Up Converter 

• 2 Antenna WiMAX Digital Up Converter 

• Single-Channel 10-MHz LTE Transmitter 

If you have Advanced Blockset installed you can find them by following these instructions: (in latest versions of Matlab) 

• Click on the ? (above 'Help') near the top right of the main Matlab Window 

• Click on Supplemental Software on the window that appears (bottom left) 

• Click the + next to Examples 

• Click the + next to Altera DSP Builder Advanced Blockset 

• Click on Reference Designs 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank's for your help, 

I'm trying to run the model with 1-Carrier, 2-Antenna WCDMA of an Digital Up Converter, but unfortunately receive this error in Matlab, what do you know about the Fixed Point Toolbox?  

I check and I have installed the Toolbox in Simulink! 

Error: 

Diagnostic Information: 

Feature: fixed_point_toolbox  

License path: C:\License\License_dsp.dat;C:\Users\Alien\AppData\Roaming\MathWorks\MATLAB\R2010b_licenses;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2010b\licenses\license.dat;C:\Program Files\MATLAB\R2010b\licenses\network.lic  

FLEXnet Licensing error: -18,147.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

http://www.mathworks.co.uk/matlabcentral/answers/106124-why-do-i-receive-license-manager-error-18 would be first thing to check. If not some of the stuff below might be useful in pin-pointing what's going wrong.  

Fixed point data-type support in both Matlab & Simulink is required by DSPBA. Historically, Fixed-Point Blockset was replaced by two products; the Fixed-Point Toolbox and Simulink Fixed Point - and both of these have now been combined again into the single Fixed-Point Designer within the last few releases. The error is telling you that it can't find the license to run Fixed Point Toolbox - even though you may well have the product installed.  

Try > license('test', 'fixed_point_toolbox') 

This should return 1 if you have a license for the feature (see > doc license). If not, check your license file, or at least the list of products included in your license, to make sure Fixed Point Toolbox is included. 

If it does return 1, then perhaps the license can't be checked out. Testing for a license only confirms that the license exists. It does not confirm that the license can be checked out. For example, license will return 1 if a license exists, even if the license has expired or if a system administrator has excluded you from using the product in an options file. The existence of a license does not indicate that the product is installed. 

try > [TF errmsg] = license('checkout','fixed_point_toolbox')
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for your help sharkster  

I will try to fix the problem during this afternoon.
0 Kudos