FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6355 Discussions

Using SPI core Stratix IV

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello  

I want to use a Stratix IV dev kit to control an SPI device( it's a frequency generator board and it supports mini USB connection)! since the FPGA board only supports HSMC/PCI Express interfaces i want to use an PCIE to USB converter board to translate the data from PCIE to USB 3. My suggested configuration : Avalon-ST SPI core -> PCIE core -> PCIE to USB adapter -> SPI device through USB 

I have not been able to find a demo or similar setup. Anyone knows how to interconnect Avalon-ST SPI Core to PCIE IP compiler in block diagram? or any other possible way to connect my SPI device to the FPGA board?  

Thanks for hints,  

Regards,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your suggestion seems very complicated. SPI is a relatively low speed interface, using PCIE and USB3 in between just makes no sense to me. I suppose you can buy a breakout board for the HSMC connector, then just bring the SPI signals to your SPI device. Well, if your target board with the SPI device has no other connectors other than the USB connector, then find a different board.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i think i would be difficult. The HSMC is also a fast communication protocol comparing to SPI.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HSMC debug header breakout missihttps://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=15833 ng the signal 33-34 SCA SCL located on BANK 1 for I2C connection.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

HSMC is not a communication protocol. I am still not sure if your SPI device board has its SPI signals exposed for you to make a connection. But in my opinion, if it only has the usb connection available, the natural solution is to write a PC application and just connect them using usb. Even using a microcontroller with USB host controller will be much easier than an FPGA (assuming you do not need FPGA for other tasks).

0 Kudos