FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

Using the Low Latency 40-Gbps Ethernet Intel® Stratix® 10 IP Core with 4x10 GbE Breakout cables

SPont2
Beginner

I wonder if it is possible to use a breakout cable that splits a QSFP+ to 4 SFP+ with the Low Latency 40-Gbps Ethernet Intel® Stratix® 10 IP Core.

There is some parameter/option to enable in the IP core?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

Based on your description, looks like you are looking for feature support as highlighted in 40GBASE-CR4/KR4 as shown in attached Ethernet wiki page.

• It also mentioned about support for Clause 72 and Clause 73 which is covered by Intel 40G IP

For Intel FPGA 40G Ethernet IP, we do support CR4 or KR4 setting selection that you can choose in the IP GUI. Pls checkout below 40G IP user guide for more detail.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
SPont2
Beginner

Dear dlim,

thank you for your answer. If the breakout is supported, how I can select which one among the 4 SFP+ should deliver the packet?

I don't see any input in the Avalon-ST TX Datapath that can I use for this purpose.

BR,

salvatore

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi Salvatore,

Yup, you have a point. I looked further into 40G IP user guide but it didn't mention about separate control over each 10G channel.

I am sorry. Looks like I may had mislead you earlier.

I consulted internally further and the recommended design implementation is to use 4 separate Ethernet 10G IP instead of one single 40G IP.

After that, you can still connect these 4 transceiver channels from the 4 different 10G IP into one QSFP module that further connect with the breakout cable to 4 individual 10G ports.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

Deshi_Intel

HI,

I don't hear back from you after my feedback suggestion.

Hopefully I have clarified your doubt

For now, I am setting this case to closure.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos
SPont2
Beginner

Dear dlim,

sorry for the late replay. I tested the solution you suggested with 4x10 and seems working.

Thank you for your support.

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Np and good to know thing is working on your side ! :)

0 Kudos