FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

VIP CVO II isn't working

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi folks, 

I've seen a couple of threads about this, but hopefully this one is slightly different! 

I've got an SDI in and SDI out which work fine. I've connected the SDI in to a CVI II->CPR (to change 10 bit CYCY to 20-bit (YC)(YC)) -> DIL II -> Scaler II -> FB II -> CVO II. I've connected various AV-ST Video Monitors and I can see the data coming in, I can see it gets through the DIL II, and even comes out of the FB II, and with Signal Tap II I can see the data going INTO the CVO II. But I cannot persuade it to come out!  

I've connected a JTAG Avalon Master bridge and used System Console to check things, and found that if I use that then the CVO doesn't have any data in the registers. So I tried to fill that all on for embedded syncs etc (can't find where it's supposed to set this, just that it might do it if I fill that bit of info in but not the separate syncs bit), and it then tells me that the mode is set, but the status bits only says that bit 0 is set, no underflow, and in particular no "locked" bit. 

The only curious thing I can find is that although the CVO II is set for 1080p60 and is fed a 148.5MHz clock (in fact all blocks are clocked with that) it is only pulling frames out of the FB II at 30 frames/s. I assume the CVO has to ask the FB for data, otherwise how would the FB know when to drop or repeat frames? But why would it only ask for 30 frames per second if it's been told it's 60? Having said that, you don't tell it how many fps you want, you just feed it a clock and have to hope it can work it out! 

My register settings are attached in the picture. I should point out that address 0x0 is the CVO, 0x400 is the CVI and 0x480 is the FB. 

Any clues greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, 

Simon
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Haha - that was funny. The response to my SR says "CVO II doesn't work with embedded syncs - use CVO instead". Just so that you know. Because it certainly doesn't say that in the manual.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So your video is with embedded syncs......Did CVO I fix the issue?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, it works fine with CVO I.

0 Kudos