FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

VIP VGA signal to RGB Converter

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, Everyone. I am considering using the NIOS processor with the VIP suite in a new design, and was wondering if someone could give me a suggestion or two. 

I would like to create a small PCB that can accept a VGA connector from the output of a laptop/desktop and convert the Analog RGB signal to a 24-bit digital RGB signal. I noticed that the NEEK uses an ADV7180 to decode and relay the composite video input to the Cyclone. I was thinking I could use an ADV7180C to convert the Analog RGBVH signal into a YCrCb signal and use the VIP suite's clocked video input IP to do processing. I would like the overall output to be a 24-bit RGB signal scaled down to QVGA resolution. 

I have two questions: Is this possible using the VIP suite, and is there a better solution I'm not thinking of? 

Thanks for any help you can give.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How about this: Does the clocked video input function take in ITU-R BT.656 formats? I was under the impression this standard encompassed several video formats, and was wondering which the Clocked Video IP core supports.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

From the VIP user guide: 

--- Quote Start ---  

The Clocked Video Input MegaCore function converts from clocked video formats (such as BT656, BT1120, and DVI) to Avalon-ST Video. 

--- Quote End ---  

The VIP suite should work fine for what you are trying to do. 

Although, at least according to Google, there is no such part as the ADV7180C. Perhaps you meant ADV7181C? 

If you want your final data to be RGB, I would look for a video decoder which can output RGB instead of converting to YCrCb and then having the FPGA convert it back to RGB. Looking at the data sheet quickly, it looks like the ADV7181C can output 24 bit RGB using a 12 bit DDR interface. While the Clocked Video Input cannot take DDR directly, you can use the ALT_DDIOIN function to convert to SDR first.
0 Kudos