FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5989 Discussions

Verilog module Instantiation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Don't really know whether i should post this Q here or not. 

I'm a student using modelsimSE 6.1f. 

actually this Q is more to verilog...not on fpga hardware issue 

i was wondering,how can i control the input to an instantiated module? 

e.g: 

module bin2bcdAdder(input1,input2,bcd); 

/* 

*/ 

full_adder fa1(input1,input2,SUM,carryOut); 

endmodule 

the testbench generates 0000 to 1111 into the module bin2bcdAdder 

how can i control the input only from 0000 to 1001 can be passed to the instantiated module full_adder? 

and i'm trully sorry if i post this Q in the wrong section, or altera forum is only allowing altera's hardware related Q
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You basicaly need to add soething like this somewhere in your code 

if (input == 1001) begin 

input <= 4'b0; 

end 

But I guess you have no clue where to add it right ? 

Well, I can not help you there, not without the code.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

module bin2bcdAdder(input1,input2,bcd); input input1,input2; output bcd; wire S; wire input1,input2; /*without this line, i can't assign the input values to A1,B1 and compile the code*/ reg A1,B1; addminus4bit am4b(A1,B1,0,S,V,C); always @ (A,B) begin if(A>1001|B>1001) begin A1=4'b0; B1=4'b0; end else begin A1=input1; B1=input2; end /*some codes here*/ end endmodulewell,i tried using the always block... 

or is it useless to use the > comparison? 

do i need to do case for each bit from 0000 to 1001?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

module bin2bcdAdder(input1,input2,bcd); input input1,input2; output bcd; wire S; wire input1,input2; /*without this line, i can't assign the input values to A1,B1 and compile the code*/ reg A1,B1; addminus4bit am4b(A1,B1,0,S,V,C); always @ (A,B) // without a clock input this will NEVER work begin if((A>4'b1001)|(B>4'b1001)) begin A1<=4'b0; // proper assigments B1<=4'b0; //proper assigments end else begin A1<=input1; // proper assigments B1<=input2; // proper assigments end /*some codes here*/ end endmodule

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

module bin2bcdAdder(input1,input2,bcd); input input1,input2; output bcd; wire S; wire input1,input2; /*without this line, i can't assign the input values to A1,B1 and compile the code*/ reg A1,B1; addminus4bit am4b(A1,B1,0,S,V,C); always @ (A,B) // without a clock input this will NEVER work begin if((A>4'b1001)|(B>4'b1001)) begin A1<=4'b0; // proper assigments B1<=4'b0; //proper assigments end else begin A1<=input1; // proper assigments B1<=input2; // proper assigments end /*some codes here*/ end endmodule 

--- Quote End ---  

not all always block needs a clock rite?may i know why do i need a clock pulse for this one?
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

btw,it's all working now...tq^^ 

added A1 and B1 to the output port to simulate it and it runs well 

without the clock generation
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am getting error while instantiating modules on condition with the default module. it is giving error if i instantiate default mode. 

the code is much similar to this: 

module top(//parameters); 

addition u0(//parameters passing); line 2 

'ifdef(flag) 

sum u1(//passing the parameters); 

'else 

subtract u2(//passing the parameters); 

'endif 

endmodule 

if the module addition-u0 is removed, then only code is working properly. but i need to operate before conditional execution. 

plz help me.:cry: