FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5884 Discussions

What multiplier can do 16 bit by 26 bit?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I am new to Altera. I read an article on division with APEX, which was an old device. It said: 

On an Altera APEX device, when combining the LUT and multiplier into a single division module, a 16 bit by 26 bit multiplier consumes 838 logic elements (LEs), operating at 25 MHz clock frequency and total memory consumption of 53248 memory bits for the specific target FPGA device 

I know modern FPGA has 18X18 multipliers. The above statements look like a memory lookup table multiplier? How to implement it in new FPGA?  

Thanks,
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Im not sure what the question is. You would implement it that same way as the apex if you wanted a memory multiplier. But now its easiest just to do the multiply in hdl and let the compiler infer the hardware.