FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

Will EP3C25F324C8NES work at -20C even though it's rated as Commercial Temperature Grade?

SStan18
Beginner

We are using an off-the-shelf board that has the EP3C25F324C8NES FPGA on it. We need to operate this board in temperatures down to -20C. The FPGA is rated for temperatures above 0C only. Since the board is part of a custom unique product not manufactured by us it is hard to redesign or replace the parts. In the past a few manufacturers have told me that regardless of the temp. rating of the part, if the part number is the same it comes from the same wafer. Afterwords select dies are tested to lower temperatures and guaranteed down to those temperatures. Same P/N parts regardless of rating could potentially work across a wider temperature range (at least on the lower end).

We are able to do a cold temperature test on the board but we are trying to estimate the viability of that test.

1) Will EP3C25F324C8NES work with ambient temperatures below 0C (assuming a cold soak and then power on)?

2) How far below 0C will it potentially function?

3) What kind of failures are predicted at low temperatures?

4) If failures are observed, are there any ways to mitigate them, i.e. decreasing or increasing clock speed?

Thank you very much for your support.

Sincerely,

Stan

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Stan,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

It is always recommended to follow Intel guidelines in handling Intel device as Intel will not be responsible if the device is not working if customer did not follow the guidelines provided.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
SStan18
Beginner

Hello Aiman,

Thank you for your reply. For our application we are not concerned about reliability and warranty as much as we are with functionality. We are not expecting Intel to take any responsibility when we operate the parts outside of the rated parameters.

Having said that we still need some support for the inquiry. Is there a way to contact an FAE or Intel Technical Support (other than the online Tech Support Ticket system, as they just sent me here)?

Additionally, I am not sure this question is posted under the correct topic, but I haven't found another topic related to physical parameters of the FPGA Asic.

Best Regards,

Stan

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Stan,

Sorry but we never tested EP3C25F324C8NES at -20C hence we can not confirm the details,result or the output. However, if you have tested the device at -20C or below 0C and no problem occur, you may just proceed with it.

Thank you.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
SStan18
Beginner

Hello Aiman,

Would you be able to share how low was EP3C25F324C8NES tested and if it was soaked at that temperature and then powered on or lowered to the temperature in a working state? Was the temperature measured ambient or IC temperature?

In your opinion what problems could occur during low temperatures? I am sure some of the EP3C25F324I or EP3C25F324A variants failed the low temperature test and were then binned as C grade. Would you be able to share the mechanism of failure?

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Stan

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Stan,

Apologize for the delay in response as i was checking the information from our internal team. Sorry to tell you that we cannot commit to functionality of EP3C25F324C8NES at -20C since it is not an industrial grade part.

Please see the answer in BOLD below:

1) Will EP3C25F324C8NES work with ambient temperatures below 0C (assuming a cold soak and then power on)? We cannot commit to functionality of Commercial grade device outside its datasheet spec. Therefore, we cannot commit to EP3C25F324C8NES, which is a Commercial grade device, working below 0C.

2) How far below 0C will it potentially function? Cannot provide a definite number for Commercial part

3) What kind of failures are predicted at low temperatures? Cannot provide failure type. It's maybe timing related.

4) If failures are observed, are there any ways to mitigate them, i.e. decreasing or increasing clock speed? Cannot respond for Commercial part

In your opinion what problems could occur during low temperatures?Cannot respond for Commercial part

We apologize for the inconveniences. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos