FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5884 Discussions

dsp builder installation

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have purchased cyclone II DSP development kit EP2C70. 

there is an installation issue with DSP Builder v6.0 (dsp builder CD provided with the kit). 

i have install Quartus II version 6.0sp1 (provided with the kit) 

megacore IP v6.0 (provided with the kit). 

Nios II v6.0 (provided with the kit). 

when i try to install DSP Builder then message window appear "install matlab 7.0 , 7.1 or 2006a before installing dsp builder" 

although matlab 2007b is provided with the kit, and i have already install this in my PC. 

i have also installed matlab 7.0 but the same error message window appears every time. 

please help me in the installation of dsp builder v6.0
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

did you just purchase the kit and activate the license? if so you should be able to install the 9.1sp2 or 10.0sp1 tools and a more recent version of MATLAB, it might be easier than figuring out the old tools

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Old versions of DSP Builder had quite buggy installers. For instance: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9606#post9606 (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9606#post9606

It's possible that the very presence of the newer version of MATLAB is causing this problem. You could try uninstalling MATLAB R2007b, follow the trick in the post I linked to clear your registry and try again. 

However I would really recommend using a newer version of DSP Builder. 6.0 is very old and many bugs have been fixed since then.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

my problems still not resolved by the way u refered me (to the post above)plz tell me about some other solution ineed to start my work on project i have to present it on 16 jan 2011

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Without access to your machine, there's not a great deal else I can do. I really would recommend getting a new version of DSP Builder and using that.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks sir! 

i have install dsp builder correctly. 

but know i have to integrate dsp builder with matlab 7.0 

when i set "C;\altera\DSPBuilder\Altlib" in the current directory and type command "setup_dspbuilder" then message appear in the command waindow of matlab "the environment variable 'DSPBUILDER_ROOTDIR' required by the dsp builder has not set". 

how can i resolve this issue
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To set the environment variable, do the following (assuming you're using Windows XP - Vista/Win7 are not much different): 

1. Close Matlab if it's open 

2. Left-click on the Start menu 

3. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Properties" 

4. Select the "Advanced" tab and click "Environment Variables" 

5. Click New below System variables 

6. Enter Variable name as DSPBUILDER_ROOTDIR and Variable value as C:\altera\DSPBuilder\Altlib 

7. Click OK and then OK again. 

8. Now start MATLAB and the variable should be set. 

You can verify it's set by typing "getenv DSPBUILDER_ROOTDIR" at the matlab prompt.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanx sir! 

my problem is resolve know. 

thank you very much for your patience
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have downloaded quartus version 9 nd using matlab 2009a, i m intending to download dsp builder v9.1 but it needs a license key to generate an hdl file??? 

does altera offers free license key for dsp builder v9.1??? as it did when i use quartus v6.0
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know about the license situation but you can't use DSP Builder 9.1 with Quartus 9.0.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have installed quatus 8.1 and dsp builder 8.1 

can anybody tell me will dsp builder generate verilog file without being licensed???
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

DSP Builder never generates Verilog. 

edit: Change that to present tense. No idea if it will at some future point.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i have download modelsim-altera 6.1Ed from the altera web side. 

when i tried to open then message window appear with the license issue. 

"the environment variable for modelsim-altera is not set, give address in the following preferrance"  

1. MGLS_LICENSE_FILE 

2. LM_LICENSE_FILE 

please help me
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recommend posting this in a new thread. This is nothing to do with DSP Builder and so it may not get the attention you would like.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have Tried "My support " in ALTERA Webpage.But i cant figure it out. 

Can anyone please instruct me How to Obtain a DSP Builder Free License. I owned the Cyclone III(NEEK) kit. I need badly to obtain the license... Thanks in Advance...
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You should contact your local Altera reprentative to see if they can do something for you. AFAIK the NEEK kit doesn't give you a DSP builder license.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you for your reply Daixiwen, 

I never know that NEEK doesn't cover the DSP license.  

But my CD package Has the DSP Builder software.  

I tried to contact ALTERA customer support through Mail, But they are asking for my University Mail address. but i don't have one. Is there no way to get a reply from ALTERA without a Registered University MAIL ID.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

And the SERIAL NUMBER i got in MY NEEK Kit has 19 digits rather then the 11 digit instructed by ALTERA references for KIT registration. Is it common ? 

I checked my NEEK, DE0 and DE1 boards all are having a 19 digit serial number at the bottom of the Shipping KIT sticker. 

Did i misunderstood the directions given by ALTERA? , please guide me..