FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6359 Discussions

ip security against pyracy

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi, i am new to ip core design and i am looking for a way to protect my work when i submit it to customers for evaluation. i know creating the vhdp file will hide my work from customers while trying it. but does it allow the customer to deploy the design on fpga. i want to know how can i submit my work for evaluation with out the customer be able to use it on actual hardware for commercial purpose or be able to use it for limited evaluation time.thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That wont be possible. If you provide them with VHDL source or a netlist, they will be able to compile it into their designs. 

I would set up a contract before you give them any code/netlist.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

That wont be possible. If you provide them with VHDL source or a netlist, they will be able to compile it into their designs. 

I would set up a contract before you give them any code/netlist. 

--- Quote End ---  

then how do ip vendor cell annual licenses of their ip and when license expires the buyer is not able to use the ip unless buys another license. is there no way for me to do something like that,many thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you can deliver the pre flash hardware to customer :D . hehe . in the form of OTP flashed memory

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can deliver them a board that uses an encrypted configuration. Duplication won't be possible. It won't stand up to a knowledgeable crypto expert, but it will be good enough to keep casual intruders from duplicating it. See the configuration documentation for the FPGA family you are using.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

then how do ip vendor cell annual licenses of their ip and when license expires the buyer is not able to use the ip unless buys another license. is there no way for me to do something like that,many thanks 

--- Quote End ---  

Specific Vendor IP is usually shipped encrypted source code. Afaik, you need to ship your IP through the Altera IP program to get the encryption.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

By the way, mind share further on what is Altera IP program for encryption? Interested to know more.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

IPs that Altera Supply are usually there because Altera need the core to fulfil some customer demand. I dont think you'll get a small peice of IP shipped with encryption via Altera. You'll need to discuss with your FAE.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i think there no specific feature for this part for now right?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

agree with Tricky,might need to talk to FAE for this usage.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you have sufficient volume of purchase, should be easier to get support from Altera on this.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

need to search for other material out there if possible !

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

need to search for other material out there if possible ! 

--- Quote End ---  

Mind further elaborate on other material that you are referring to?
0 Kudos