FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6356 Discussions

low pass audio filter to cut female voice

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i made a/d & d/a custom board can be connected to DE1 via GPIO header, want to design simple demonstration to cut female voice using DSP Builder. i will use mic input to a/d and d/a out to speaker. how can i do this using FIR filter in dsp builder. any ideas or design flows. i am new to dsp builder flow (only know how to run preloaded demos)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm pretty sure you need something more sophisticated than a FIR filter to reject female voice from a speech register. Some solutions based on Wiener/Adaptive Filtering or spectral substraction could be helpful.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thanks for your quick reply, i shall try and post the results

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can check the filter operation with *.wav files in MatLab without using a FPGA.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

did you find any results for that? 

According to my own experiences female voices (in comparison to male voices) do have a 90% overlap in the spectrum and the formants hardly can be described detailed enough to distinguish that automatically. 

The only way of speech removal works with material, where the vocals were recorded in mono.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The equalization enables to influence and to master the sound colour of an instrument or a mix. It is also used to balance a mix, i.e. to help each instrument to find its place in the sound spectrum. During live shows, it is used to avoid feedback, and to impose a certain sound colour, or to attenuate the sound defects of a concert hall.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any news about voice removal? :-)

0 Kudos