FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
6343 Discussions

one of the 'Timing Optimization Advisor' recommendations for my design is to define a list of clocks as Global Clock in the Assignment editor. how do i do that?

OLevy1
Beginner

i have tried to enter one of the clocks to the 'Assignment Editor' list in the 'To' column, i selected 'Global Signal' in the 'Assignment Name' column, i selected 'Global Clock' in the 'Value' column. compiling the design i get a message "136021 Ignored assignment GLOBAL which contains an invalid node name THE_NAME_OF_THE_CLOCK_FROM_THE_RECOMMENDATIONS_LIST" so i guess i do not configure it right.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

The To column must be the exact name of your clock. Click the little browse button in the To column cell to open up the Node Finder and search for and select the name of your clock to apply the assignment to.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
OLevy1
Beginner

thanks for the answers but what i get in the report are names that can not be found by the Node Finder.

for example (one of the clocks i get in the report):

'crm_inst|freeclk_pll_inst|pll_inclk50mhz_normal_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]'

i have found 'crm:crm_inst|pll_inclk50MHz_normal:freeclk_pll_inst|outclk_0' in the Node Finder. configured it as 'Global Signal' in the 'Assignment Name' column and 'Global Clock' in the 'Value' column.

and after the compilation i still get the same line in the report (Node Name - crm_inst|freeclk_pll_inst|pll_inclk50mhz_normal_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0], Global Resource Used - No)

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

usually, if the name was correct after doing the above suggestion. You will find a green tick there in the assignment editor.

0 Kudos
OLevy1
Beginner

thanks for the answers but what i get in the report are names that can not be found by the Node Finder.

for example (one of the clocks i get in the report):

'crm_inst|freeclk_pll_inst|pll_inclk50mhz_normal_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0]'

i have found 'crm:crm_inst|pll_inclk50MHz_normal:freeclk_pll_inst|outclk_0' in the Node Finder. configured it as 'Global Signal' in the 'Assignment Name' column and 'Global Clock' in the 'Value' column.

and after the compilation i still get the same line in the report (Node Name - crm_inst|freeclk_pll_inst|pll_inclk50mhz_normal_inst|altera_pll_i|general[0].gpll~FRACTIONAL_PLL|vcoph[0], Global Resource Used - No)

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

That "vcoph" signal is a tap of the VCO of the PLL. You can't put it on a global.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/solutions/rd01182013_427.html

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

You can always look into your reports files to check on the correct name to look for in your assignment editor. got to processing -> compilation report.

0 Kudos
OLevy1
Beginner
Hi, I have checked the ‘Compilation report - > TimeQuest Timing Analyzer -> Clocks’ and the names are the same to what I see in the ‘Timing Optimization Advisor’ recommendations. Do you have any other ideas? Thanks, Oren
0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

It should fall under fitter report. Can you try to look over there?

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Did you manage to find the name? If no, I will attached a screenshot.

0 Kudos
OLevy1
Beginner
Hi, No I didn’t. Can you please attach the screenshot? Thanks, Oren
0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Here is the screenshot.

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Does the screenshot help you?

0 Kudos
OLevy1