FPGA Intellectual Property
PCI Express*, Networking and Connectivity, Memory Interfaces, DSP IP, and Video IP
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5950 Discussions

stratix iv qdr_sram_compiler_wirh uniphy

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hello, 

Now I'm using stratix iv 230 device in a project.I use qdr_sram_compiler_with_uniphy as my qdr2 chip controller.The software is quartus ii 10.0 sp1.All the docs downloaded from the web do not describe the avl_w_size signal.I have been in this trouble so long,need help!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Its the write burst size. How many writes that you are going to be providing per access.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hi,std_logic. 

At the first sight of your name,i see the you are expert on VHDL.Yes?Haha,just a joke. 

Based on several experiments,I have summarized the usage of avl_w_write_size.Max_burst_length affects the width of avl_w_write_size(also avl_read_size),Nwidth = (log 2 (max_burst_length))+1.What is burst length?Cycpress's qdrii chip generally has 2 or 4 mem array,ie the data width of the chip is 9,addr width is 21.There 2 or 4 mem array with 21 addr width and 9 data width.If the burst_length is 2,then the avl_write_data and avl_read_data is 18,or if the burst_length is 4,then the avl_write_data and avl_read_data is 36.Here burst_length is not the same as max_burst_length. 

What is the usage of "size"?For example,we set max_burst_length is 8.Then the width of "size" is 4.If we set "size"="0001",when read and write,we should increase the address by a0;if we set "0010",we should increase the address by a1;if we set "0100",we should increase the address by a2;if we set "1000",we should increase the address by a3.A3,pay attention to it,burst = 8 words. 

All above is summarized by experiments,docs about the new ip is like noting.I have consulted to altera FAE,but they do not kown it very well.Hope docs released!!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Burst length is number of accesses per command.  

Take DDR3 which is nominally BL=8 on the memory interface. If using half rate I need to provide 2 beats of data to get the entire 8 beats on the memory interface. If I do this on consecutive clock edges I can set local_size = 2 and set burstbegin high on the first one. Or if the data is not ready on consecutive clock cycles I can use local size = 1 and push the first beat in, wait and do the same again for the 2nd beat, each time setting burstbegin high.