FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5281 Discussions

1.8V I/O for DDR Controller? (BeMicro SDK MDDR)

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The BeMicro SDK designs come with a Microtronix MDDR controller evaluation core. They use the 1.8V I/O standard, which allows them to use the thresh pin on the bank as the CS pin of the DDR. 

Whenever I try to use another DDR controller, the 1.8V I/O standard causes a fitter error. 

Error (165021): The "1.8 V" I/O standard and/or the "8mA" current strength on the pin "RAM_D0" is not supported for DDR/DDR2 external memory interfaces 

Info (165023): The combination of the I/O standard "SSTL-2 Class I" and the current strength "8mA" is a supported setting 

Info (165023): The combination of the I/O standard "SSTL-2 Class I" and the current strength "12mA" is a supported setting 

Info (165023): The combination of the I/O standard "SSTL-2 Class II" and the current strength "16mA" is a supported setting 

etc, etc, 

If I try to use one of the 1.8 SSTL standards for the I/O, it throws a fitter error telling me that the thresh pin is already used. 

Now the 1.8V I/O standard obviously works on this board on those pins with this DDR.  

Does anyone know how to force the ALTMEMPHY to use 1.8V? 

Thanks!! 

Bob
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The BeMicro-SDK uses LPDDR memory. The ALTMEMPHY did not used to support this memory (but perhaps 13.0 does, I didn't check). 

Arrow's European site has a download for an LPDDR controller: 

http://www.arroweurope.com/markets-solutions/solutions/bemicro/bemicro-sdk.html 

I haven't tried it ... 

Cheers, 

Dave
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Whenever I try to use another DDR controller, the 1.8V I/O standard causes a fitter error. 

--- Quote End ---  

There is more differences between regular DDR and mobile LPDDR than just the I/O standard. 

This Micron note describes some of the issues, but long story short: just changing the I/O standard isn't going to result in a usable system. 

http://www.micron.com/~/media/documents/products/technical%20note/dram/tn4615.pdf
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The BeMicro-SDK uses LPDDR memory. The ALTMEMPHY did not used to support this memory (but perhaps 13.0 does, I didn't check). 

Arrow's European site has a download for an LPDDR controller: 

http://www.arroweurope.com/markets-solutions/solutions/bemicro/bemicro-sdk.html 

I haven't tried it ... 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

I did. 

Works just fine. 

Thanks!!!
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I did. 

Works just fine. 

--- Quote End ---  

Excellent, thanks for letting the forum know! 

Cheers, 

Dave