FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5931 Discussions

10G/25G Ethernet vs 10G MAC + 10GBASE-R PHY

kgigliotti
Novice

Hi,

I'm implementing 10GbE on a Stratix 10 GX device (currently using the DK-DEV-1SGX-H-A development kit) and had a few questions with regard on how to go about this.

Basic system information:
- Will be part of a much larger system/project
- 10G only implementation (will not be using any other speed 1G, 25G, etc.)
- 1 channel
- MAC + PCS + PMA
- H-tile transceiver
- Will need to be supported for the next 10+ years

Questions:
1. For a new system is there any general recommendation on which IP to use, either the 25G Ethernet or a combination of LLE 10G MAC and 10GBASE-R PHY?
2. It doesn't seem like it, but is it possible configure the 25G Ethernet IP in such a way that it would start in, or only operate in, 10G mode?
3. Is the main purpose of the 10G/25G rate switching (in the 25G Ethernet IP) to allow rate switching on the fly, or is this also intended to replace the 10G MAC + PHY and allow backwards compatibility with 10GbE systems?

Any input/information on this would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Deshi_Intel

HI,

Pls see my comment below

1. For a new system is there any general recommendation on which IP to use, either the 25G Ethernet or a combination of LLE 10G MAC and 10GBASE-R PHY?

• Since you are just interested with 10G application then it make more sense for you to consider either
  • LLE 10G MAC + 10GBASE-R PHY
  • or LLE 10G MAC + 1G/2.5G/5G/10G Multi-rate Ethernet PHY

2. It doesn't seem like it, but is it possible configure the 25G Ethernet IP in such a way that it would start in, or only operate in, 10G mode ?

• Unlikely as this IP is meant for 25G application with additional option to downgrade to 10G. So, It will start with 25G

3. Is the main purpose of the 10G/25G rate switching (in the 25G Ethernet IP) to allow rate switching on the fly, or is this also intended to replace the 10G MAC + PHY and allow backwards compatibility with 10GbE systems ?

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Deshi_Intel

HI,

Pls see my comment below

1. For a new system is there any general recommendation on which IP to use, either the 25G Ethernet or a combination of LLE 10G MAC and 10GBASE-R PHY?

• Since you are just interested with 10G application then it make more sense for you to consider either
  • LLE 10G MAC + 10GBASE-R PHY
  • or LLE 10G MAC + 1G/2.5G/5G/10G Multi-rate Ethernet PHY

2. It doesn't seem like it, but is it possible configure the 25G Ethernet IP in such a way that it would start in, or only operate in, 10G mode ?

• Unlikely as this IP is meant for 25G application with additional option to downgrade to 10G. So, It will start with 25G

3. Is the main purpose of the 10G/25G rate switching (in the 25G Ethernet IP) to allow rate switching on the fly, or is this also intended to replace the 10G MAC + PHY and allow backwards compatibility with 10GbE systems ?

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

kgigliotti
Novice

Hi @Deshi_Intel,

Thanks for the response, and answering all of my questions, it's definitely appreciated.
Your responses are in-line with my initial assumptions, so I'm glad that my understanding was on the right track.
Does this also mean there would be no intention of discontinuing support for the LLE 10G MAC + 10GBASE-R PHY in the next 10 years? I understand that it is quite a while away, so it is very difficult to know for sure, but this will be fairly important for the project.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Hi,

Intel won't be able to guarantee any IP offer will last for how long as it's actually depend on market demand and supply dynamic.

Intel marketing team will evaluate the IP solution annually to decide whether to continue sustain it or EOL it. The judgement is purely base on business call.

I am sorry this Intel forum community is meant to address technical enquiry while business justification is out of my control.

Perhaps you can contact your local sales distributor to see if they can give you better answer from business support perspective

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

kgigliotti
Novice

@Deshi_Intel, thanks again for the response.
I figured this might be the case, as with most things from a business perspective, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Either way, I really appreciate the additional feedback and input. 

Cheers

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

You are welcome !

0 Kudos
Deshi_Intel

Alright, I am setting this case to closure.

Feel free to post new forum thread if you still have enquiry in future.

Thanks.

Regards,

dlim

0 Kudos