FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

40Gbps Ethernet MACPHY IP Hardware Demo Design using QSFP

DanielGP
Novice

Hello!

I am trying to test the 40Gbps Demo for Stratix V in Quartus 18.1 Standard Edition. After compiling the project, I get the following error, even though the target device is right:

Error (12252): Invalid device family 'Stratix V' specified

Also, when I open the gen_40 IP, it does not let me insert the Device Family (stuck to Unknown). 

DanielGP_0-1604323811913.png

Am I doing anything wrong? The example design seems to have been prepared for Quartus 15.0. That might be part of the problem? 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Are you downloading the v17.1 design file, refer to the link below?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_US/uploads/1/1c/Alt_eth_40G_qsfp_171.zip

After unzipping the file, you can open the .qar in v18.1std. From the Project Navigator, select IP components, double click the “gen_40” to open the IP GUI, and then generate it (if you would like to upgrade to v18.1std).

It works well from my site. You may probably try it by using v17.1std as well.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
DanielGP
Novice

Hi, thank you for the fast reply.

Just to be sure, I downloaded again the example design from the link you provided (indeed, version 17.1, not 15.0 as announced in the tutorial page).

After opening the .qar in v18.1 and opening the gen_40 IP GUI, i am still not able to generate the IP as you can see below:

DanielGP_0-1604395160237.png

Is it a license issue? I have enabled the one-year license from recently acquiring the Stratix V Development Kit.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel
  1. Do you able to instantiate a new 40G/100G Ethernet Intel FPGA IP from the IP catalog?
  2. Do you able to create an empty project by selecting this device 5SGXEA7K2F40C2?

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
DanielGP
Novice

1) Yes but only in a different project as you can check below:

DanielGP_0-1604397726110.png

2) Yes, I have already tested a few projects before. Recently, I tested the one with the your TSE IP and now I want to do the same but for 10Gbps Ethernet. Is there other option rather than this 40Gbps IP? What I need are two 10Gbps ethernet connections...

Thank you for the attention!

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

If you can instantiate a new IP without a problem, then you can try to work around it by using the following settings to generate the 40G IP. If not, you might need to use v17.1std. 

40GIP_Setting.PNG

DanielGP
Novice

Thank you, I will give it a try!

Another issue, I have already read the User Guide but something is not clear to me yet. Can I use the 40Gbps IP to individually control each 10Gbps interface?

Basically for my project I need to control two independent 10 Gbps ethernet connections. I bought this adapter to have 4x10G SFP+ interfaces. Is it possible to have two 10Gbps connections with the 40Gbps IP or should I use two 10 Gbps IPs? Or this is not even possible at all?

Looking to the board pinout, I see there are 4 pair TX/RX, I assume one pair per interface. But then how do I manage the other ports (I2C, module signals, etc) separately? 

Sorry for all the questions.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

For 10G Ethernet design, you probably can refer to the link below. Please note that the Stratix V is an old device, therefore, the design example associated with this device was built in an older version of Quartus.

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/15.0.0/Standard/an-705-scalable-10g-ethernet-mac-using-1g10g-phy/

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

The protocol spec for 40G is not the same as 10G, which means, you can't use a single 40G Ethernet IP as four individual 10G ethernets. In this case, you should use two 10Gpbs IP.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
DanielGP
Novice

Ok, that was exactly my question, thanks.

In that case, I will not concern with the 40Gbps IP problem anymore.

Now, for the 10G, is there another example design for the stratix V development board I could follow? The one you posted above is for the Transceiver Signal Integrity Development Kit and I do not have that one (I even think this one is already discontinued), I have the Stratix V GX FPGA Development Kit.

Thanks once again!

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

You can use the design as the starting point and then migrate/port over the design to the board that you intend to test.

Regards -SK

DanielGP
Novice

Hi, again!

Thank you for all the support. I am still struggling a bit here.

One question I need to be sure of. For the Stratix V GX Development Kit, we have a 40G QSFP connector that uses 4 transceiver channels. Is it really possible to use only one channel, i.e., having only one independent 10Gb connection?

I thought I could use this cable to have 1 to 4 independent channels but I cannot find any example to do that. Is it really possible?

Regards.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Per my understanding, this is doable. The QSFP ports can use as four independent 10G channels.

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

I will set this forum case to close-pending for now. The status will remain in this state for 15 calendar days, simply post a note in this forum and it will be reopened for further investigation.

0 Kudos