FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

A10 GX FPGA Devkit - "DDR calibration failed" and Factory Reset Error

Divya_lsai
Novice

We have tested both the Arria 10 GX FPGA Development kits using the Board Test System (BTS) application and the following are noted,

A10 Devkit 1 -
S/N 10APCIe0004116
P/N K11695-001

The following tests were successful,
- Testing GPIO pins by verifying LEDs, push buttons and display port
- Testing xcvr pins by verifying SFP internal and external loopback
- Testing xcvr and com pins by verifying FMCA and FMCB internal and external loopback 
- Testing DDR4 by verifying DDR4 memory writing/reading

A10 Devkit 2 -
S/N 10APCIe0004133
P/N K11695-001

The following tests were successful,
- Testing GPIO pins by verifying LEDs, push buttons and display port
- Testing xcvr pins by verifying SFP internal and external loopback
- Testing xcvr and com pins by verifying FMCA and FMCB internal and external loopback

However, there was an issue while testing DDR4. We got this error "DDR calibration failed, test won't work". (screenshot 1)

We swapped the DDR4 HiLo daughter card with DDR3 HiLo daughter card and the same error showed up. So, we tried to doing 'Factory Reset' by filling in the devkit details as mentioned in the 'System Info' tab. (screenshot 3). But "Device is not supported. We recommend that you upgrade Quartus to 15.1.2.193" error showed up. (screenshot 2). This 'Factory Reset' was performed on both the Devkits and the same error showed up on both of them.

The BTS application was downloaded from the official Intel Arria 10 FPGA Development kit website. The readme file of BTS application mentions that Quartus needs to be v15.1.2 or higher. We are using Quartus v21.2. We have gone through the A10 Devkit user guide but couldn't resolve this issue. On the bottom side of the devkit, they've mentioned Rev E3.1 but in the system info tab it's getting detected as RevG.

Kindly request you to suggest appropriate solutions.
Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Divya,

The BTS design was created while ago and no longer supported even after updating the Quartus to latest version.

I suggest you to create an example design to check the calibration process.

You can target the Arria 10 GX devkit when creating the example design.

Then you can test it on board to monitor the signal by the Signal Tap tool or you can use the EMIF Debug Toolkit to get the calibration result.

Thanks,

Adzim

0 Kudos
Divya_lsai
Novice

Hello @AdzimZM_Intel,

Thank you for your reply.

As per your suggestion, I generated an example project for A10 GX FPGA Development kit applying DDR4 Hilo preset. I programmed the board and opened the External Memory Interface Toolkit. I set up the Connections and generated the connections report. 

DDR4 Calibration passed in A10 Devkit 1 (screenshot 1)
However, it failed on A10 Devkit 2 (screenshot 2)

Then, I exchanged the DDR4 Hilo Daughter cards of both the Devkits and tested. Again, DDR4 was calibrated successfully on A10 Devkit 1 but it failed on A10 Devkit 2.

So, according to my test cases, both the DDR4 daughter cards are working fine with A10 Devkit 1 but not with A10 Devkit 2,

Please let me know what might be the issue. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Divya,

Based on your tests, it's seems like the A10 Devkit 2 is not functioning correctly.

The issue might be with the board.

Maybe you can request for devkit replacement.

So I need some info from you that I will request separately in the private message.

Thanks,

Adzim

0 Kudos
Divya_lsai
Novice

Hello @AdzimZM_Intel,

We have purchased the Arria 10 GX FPGA Development kit from Macnica Cytech Pte Ltd.
So, what would be the procedure in case of Devkit replacement?

Kindly let me know,

I wasn't able to reply the board details in the private email because it's a "noreply" email. So please let me know if there's an alternative email id that I can send the board details to?

0 Kudos
AdzimZM_Intel
Employee

Hi Divya,

I will let you know on what you should do later.

I'm actually send a message to you through the Intel Community Private Message.

But I also have sent an email to you.

You can reply through the email or message.

Thanks,

Adzim

0 Kudos