FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

ADCs on-board

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I am relatively new to FPGA's, and I have a question regarding ADCs with the Altera FPGAs. The lab I work in is going to use an FPGA to implement a convolution of an input square wave with a variety of filter square waves of differing widths (these filters are set in advance). The input is going to be coming from a detector (as in, its an analog signal). We need to take that signal and convert it to a digital signal with a sampling rate of at least 20Msps. The voltage range of the input signal is anywhere from 10mV to 4.5V (I have read that the range does not really matter since ADCs typically come with a variable gain amplifier to fit the signal properly, but I just thought I should let you know anyways just in case). 

My question is whether Altera makes any Dev boards that have these types of ADCs on-board. I have seen many ADCs that connect to HSMC connectors, for example, but I have not been able to find any heavy duty ADCs on-board. Do these exist, or will we have to settle with an external module? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

Kindly go through the below link for the Altera Stratix III Development kit which consists of  

# Two 14-bit, 150-million samples per second (MSPS) analog to digital (A/D) converters 

# Two 14-bit, 250-MSPS digital to analog (D/A) converters 

Cost $2,895 

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-st3-dsp.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Cyclone II DSP and Stratix II DSP kits had on board converters. more recently i think everything is HSMC as you've found.

0 Kudos