FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

[ARRIA V GX STARTER KIT] USB read/write registers to Arria V

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

we have an Arria V GX starter kit on which the Arria V FPGA firmware is programmed through a MAXII FPGA in which is implemented a USB blaster II. 

with the appropriate firmware on the Arria V, the Board Test System software is able to access several parts of the hardware of the board, connected to the Arria V : user push buttons, user leds, .... 

thus, if I'm correct, it would be possible to read and write registers (with a PC connected to the kit via USB) in the Arria V. 

is it really possible ? 

do you have a link to any documentation for doing that ? 

and especially on this dev. kit ? 

thank you for the help. 

best regards 

ronic
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes, this is possible. I wrote a tutorial on how to do this with the USB-Blaster ... 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/using_the_usb-blaster_as_an_sopc/qsys_avalon-mm_master_tutorial 

The USB-Blaster II is slightly different hardware. I don't have a board with a USB-Blaster II. 

Try the JTAG-to-Avalon-MM bridge, and if it does not work, post a message for help :) 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello Dave, 

thank you for your help. 

I started to implement the avalon bus inside the Arria V with QSYS (but it's new for me) 

in conjonction with the system console, I have the feeling it should do the job :-) 

best regards 

ronic 

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, this is possible. I wrote a tutorial on how to do this with the USB-Blaster ... 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/using_the_usb-blaster_as_an_sopc/qsys_avalon-mm_master_tutorial 

The USB-Blaster II is slightly different hardware. I don't have a board with a USB-Blaster II. 

Try the JTAG-to-Avalon-MM bridge, and if it does not work, post a message for help :) 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos