FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Access config flash on Stratix 10 DX development kit

alexforencich
Novice

The Stratix 10 DX development kit has a QSPI configuration flash.  Unfortunately, this flash chip is not connected to the Stratix 10 FPGA, it sits behind a MAX 10 FPGA that presumably runs the PFL IP.  (this is in contrast to other development boards such as the Stratix 10 MX dev kit, which directly connects the QSPI flash to the Stratix 10 MX FPGA)

I want to be able to write to the config flash from the Stratix 10 FPGA (so I can update the firmeware in-band over PCIe).  How do I do this?  Or is it impossible without modifying the configuration running on the MAX 10? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Alex,

Please note that QSPI is connected to the MAX 10 device only, hence you cannot configure it directly from S10 device.

Please refer Figure 29 of the user guide:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/cko1566842257868.html#sri1567705138773

It seems that SW33.2 can help configure the flash using PCIe.

Let us know if you are able to proceed with this.

Regards.

0 Kudos
alexforencich
Novice

It's unclear what that switch does.  Presumably it has something to do with the JTAG pins on the PCIe edge connector?  It's unclear if those pins can really be used for anything on most motherboards.  What I need to be able to do is access the flash chip somehow from the Stratix 10 FPGA, in this case this would be from a userspace application that interfaces with the Stratix 10 via the normal PCIe link. 

0 Kudos
Ash_R_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As mentioned earlier, the QSPI cannot be accessed directly by S10 device. Hope this answers your query. Closing the case for now.

Regards.

0 Kudos