FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

Altera Cyclone III dev kit and Board Update Portal

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi all, 

I have recently purchased a Cyclone III dev kit 3C120N to discovered the wonderful FPGA world. In the user guide, it is explained that the dev kit is shipped with Board Update Portal stored in factory portion of the flash memory. 

So I set the PGM CONFIG SELECT rotary switch to 0, and switch on the board. I saw some Ethernet activities (RX led blinking and 1000 and duplex on), the user LEDs 0-7 flashing in a scrolling pattern, but no IP address is displayed on the LCD screen. 

I also have programmed the Board with Board Update Portal sof file from Quartus, and still not have IP address (but same leds behaviour). 

Is there a specific manipulation to be realized in order to configure the FPGA with Board Update Portal ?? 

Thanks for your response.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe the board waits for DHCP server to assign an address?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Socrates, thanks for your fast comment. 

DHCP server is ok, and time waiting for an IP address to be displayed (which is never obtained) on the LCD screen is more than 1 hour ... :eek: (less than 30s with a standard PC) 

I think that this issue is more linked to a bad factory configuration, or LCD screen pin connection error (It seems that LCD screen in not initialized).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hm, and You're sure the rotary selector is on the proper number? Try to download sources of the example and upload a newly compiled design :)

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The rotary selector is set to position 0 as indicated in User Guide(that is pretty strange, because before in the user guide, it is explained that with PGM CONFIG SELECT to 0, the FPGA is configured to play with the 8 user LEDS !!!) 

I also have rebuild Board Update Portail, and programmed the board with sof file newly created (time limited). I observed the same bahavior, but the 8 leds are not blicking anymore (they are always on).
0 Kudos