FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Altera DE0-nano with an LCD connected

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hey everyone, 

for a project of mine I am using the Altera DE0-nano board. I want to display some text on a 2x16 LCD which is connected via GPIO_0. The controller for the LCD is HD44780 compatible. So I thought I could reuse the code from the Altera DE2 LCD demo (which uses the HD44780 LCD controller). But unfortunately I am not able to display anything on the LCD. I tried to set the voltages of the pins to 3.3-V LVTTL and to 2.5-V but this did not make a difference. Any advice on what I should do? 

Thanks a lot!
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What is the part number of the LCD module? 

Some of them are 5V-only. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The LCD is the SSC2F16DLNW-S.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

The LCD is the SSC2F16DLNW-S. 

--- Quote End ---  

So did you read the data sheet, eg., 

http://411techsystems.com/specs/ssc2f16dlnw-s.pdf 

Page 11 indicates it can be operated at 3.3V. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It can also be operated using 3.3V (p. 11), but the GPIO on the board delivers 5V or 3.3V depending on what VCC you use. I'm running it in 5V operation mode. Does this mean that I need at least a voltage of 3.5V in order to get a high signal?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It can also be operated using 3.3V (p. 11), but the GPIO on the board delivers 5V or 3.3V depending on what VCC you use. I'm running it in 5V operation mode. Does this mean that I need at least a voltage of 3.5V in order to get a high signal? 

--- Quote End ---  

No, it means you'll damage your DE0-nano board. 

Do not operate it at 5V unless you have either level translators or voltage clamps (I'm pretty sure the DE0-nano does not have them). 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Why should it damage the board? On each GPIO are two different VCC's: VCC_SYS and VCC3P3. According to the user manual (http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive_download.pl?language=english&no=593&fid=75023fa36c9bf8639384f942e65a46f3) VCC_SYS is 5V and VCC3P3 is 3.3V. But I can't get voltages beyond 3.3V for the pins. So I need to change the voltage for the LCD to 3.3V and the voltage of the pins to 2.5V, right?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Why should it damage the board? 

--- Quote End ---  

It will damage the FPGA on the board. 

The FPGA is a Cyclone IV, which is not 5v tolerant

--- Quote Start ---  

On each GPIO are two different VCC's: VCC_SYS and VCC3P3. According to the user manual (http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive_download.pl?language=english&no=593&fid=75023fa36c9bf8639384f942e65a46f3) VCC_SYS is 5V and VCC3P3 is 3.3V. But I can't get voltages beyond 3.3V for the pins. So I need to change the voltage for the LCD to 3.3V and the voltage of the pins to 2.5V, right? 

--- Quote End ---  

p17 "DE0-Nano board provides two 40-pin expansion headers. Each header connects directly to 36 pins of the Cyclone IV E FPGA, and also provides DC +5V (VCC5), DC +3.3V (VCC33), and two GND pins" 

Read the comment clearly: "connects directly to the FPGA pins". 

You need to change the LCD to 3.3V, and leave the FPGA I/Os at 3.3V. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have a problem with the DE0 nano when I put the LCD driver in Sopc Builder .... I compile a code and don't have error then run the code and even print something to the console...... any code execute

0 Kudos