FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
4958 Discussions

Application of SSTL-18 class1 on communication between FPGA&DDR2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Now I am design my development kit , the FPGA I am using is Stratix 2'S device EP2S180F1020C5N , I will use DDR2 soDIMM on my development . So , according to the Handbook , I must use the SSTL-18 class1 or class 2 IO specification on the hardware design . What amazing me is that this specification is just single-end communication specification , that is to say , the signal can transmit from FPGA to DDR2 , if the DDR2 data want to transmit to FPGA , the resistor will not match and may produce a serious reflection . Anyone who knows how to solute this problems please help me , it will be very kind of you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

In case of SSTL class 2, you have basically a two-sided termination. Board layout considerations may not allow a FPGA-side termination anyway. If termination mismatch and reflections are acceptable or not is mainly a matter of trace lengths and intended memory speed. Consult respective Altera application notes, particularly AN408 for a detailed discussion of expectable signal quality with different termination schemes.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor I

Thank you! I got it!