FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5925 Discussions

Are there different Altera DE2-35 boards with the Cyclone II 2C35 FPGA device?

MKrem
Beginner

I have written in the university on a DE2-35 a program for controlling the LCD display and it works well.

But it does not work at home with my DE2-35 exactly the same board. The 7 segment display (Except HEX6) and the LEDs will work but the LCD display will not work.

The pin assignment fits. I checked it.

I think that this is not a defect, because the test program works, as well as everything with the control panel.

What can be the problem here? They are really the same boards, with the same FPGA Cyclone II EP2C35F672C6.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

On my Board the LCD turns on and only shows all dots in the top line. On the board in the university the entered text is printed correctly on both lines.

The default program on the DE2 cd show the text "Welcome to the DE2 Board" perfectly. With the Control Panel all dots are blinking.

I think that's ok, right?

I first thought that there is a mistake because the LEDs B and C are blown in the 7 segment display HEX6. And A only shines weakly. (How can something happen at all?)

But that has nothing to do with it, right?

I'm completely helpless because everything seems to fit.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

"The default program on the DE2 cd show the text "Welcome to the DE2 Board" perfectly. With the Control Panel all dots are blinking." -------------- Now does it showing on your DE2-35 board( At Home)?

Do visual inspection(leads of FPGA & Display) of your board rather clean it with care.

Just ensure that display of your board(At home) is working properly with any other available display program. It may have display issue.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi,

May I know any update?

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
MKrem
Beginner

Hi Vicky, thanks for the answer!

"The default program on the DE2 cd show the text "Welcome to the DE2 Board" perfectly. With the Control Panel all dots are blinking." -------------- Now does it showing on your DE2-35 board( At Home)?

Yes, the default program runs on my Board at home perfectly.

I have not tried the default program at university yet. I do that on Saturday.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi Michael,

May I know any update?

As per my understanding you need to trace the LCD display pins using CRO or analyzer with care.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
Vicky1
Employee

Hi ,

May I know any update or Should I consider that case to be closed?

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
MKrem
Beginner

Hello Vicky, thank you for the great support!

I bought the DE2-115 because I can't find the fault with the DE2-35.

If I have a little more time again, I will start troubleshooting again.

Thanks again!

best regards

Michael Kremer

0 Kudos