FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5891 Discussions

Arria 10 Dev Kit does not boot.

DMart37
Beginner

Hi, I just got an ARRIA 10 SoC Development Kit and tried to boot the Linux (rocketboards) from the sd card but it does not work. The only thing which works is the LED D17 which is shining in nice red but signals that something went wrong with booting. Does anyone know why LED D17 is shining and how I can fix it thus the Linux is booting correctly?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

May I know which rocketboards link you are referring to? Which SD Card image are you using?

Here are my suggestions:

1) Make sure the BSEL pins have been set correctly.

2) Check the MSEL pins.

I recommend that you follow the steps below thoroughly:

https://rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/A10GSRDBootLinuxFromSDCardLTS

Let me know if you need more help.

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Do you have any followup from your side?

Regards.

0 Kudos
JMark29
Beginner

Hi,

I'm actually experiencing this very issue (D17 red Error LED is lit couple of seconds after boot).

I've tested with the pre-built SD card image prepared and available from the rotcketboards.org website. It didn't work either, and so I've tried a few others.

Namely:

https://releases.rocketboards.org/release/2019.04/gsrd/a10_gsrd/sdimage.tar.gz

I copied the image over using the `dd` command (where /dev/sda corresponds to the mounted device when inserting the SD card):

$ sudo dd if=sdimage.img of=/dev/sda $ sudo sync

I have confirmed the BSEL jumper settings for the MicroSD daughtercard are correct and default (J3-BSEL0 = short left 2 pins, J4-BSEL1 = short upper 2 pins, J5-BSEL2 = short upper 2 pins).

I have confirmed the MSEL dip switch settings are all OFF (meaning HPS FPGA configuration).

What am I missing? I'm trying to boot from factory settings.

p.s. I monitor the output using minicom connected to the /dev/ttyUSB0 setting that is connected to the microUSB serial communication port on the Arria 10 SoC Dev board.

0 Kudos
JMark29
Beginner

Oddly, I was able to recover (i.e. I loaded the factory image onto the SD card - no changes to the switches/jumper settings on the development board - and it booted!)

I'm not sure what the issue was, and I'm suspecting it could be loose connection between the SD card and the contacts on the SD daughtercard.

0 Kudos