FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5924 Discussions

Arria 10 HPS DDR4 calibration fail and no emif_usr_clk

User1580871742356367

Story:

1. HPS DDR4 calibration failed (discrete, 32bit).
  2. No emif_usr_clk by putting signal tap
  3. PLL locked
  4. both local_cal_success and local_cal_fail are LOW  

Questions:

1. Why there was no emif_usr_clk?
  2. Was Calibration requires SW (boot code/uboot or so)?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What leads to you believing there is no emif_usr_clk? Do you not see it coming from the IP in Platform Designer?

And the first stage bootloader is what runs to initialize and calibrate the external memory, so this is before uboot for Arria 10.

#iwork4intel

0 Kudos
User1580871742356367

Thank you very much for the reply.

emif_usr_clk is used as Signal Tap clock and Signal Tap was triggering and waiting for the clock.

0 Kudos
ybin
Employee
Agree with sstrell’s opinion. If the PLL is locked, the emif_usr_clk should be OK. Please make sure you tap the correct signal in signaltap. The calibration should act before uboot. As A10 HPS EMIF can be test separately, I think you can use an example design to test EMIF, to see if EMIF can calibrate seperately. Please refer to below link for how to https://www.intel.cn/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/ug/ug-20118.pdf
0 Kudos
User1580871742356367

The fitter was failed if using HPS EMIF DDR4 pins (same as A10 SOC Eval Kit) when generating FPGA EMIF example design. 

Alert_n pin is on AG24 and the pins are working for HPS EMIF ( GHRD NAND design)

Have played with Alert_n settings etc. in Parameters (DQS group, Addr/CMD or auto) and no luck. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
ybin
Employee

You need to check whether all the pin location assignment and IP parameter is the same as GHRD . 

ybin_1-1593317557704.png

0 Kudos
ybin
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos