FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
5275 Discussions

Arria 10 SX LVDS SERDES with global clocks?

RPett4
Beginner

I am trying to determine if a certain FMC ADC board is compatible with a 3rd party Arria 10 SX FMC carrier card, transceiver speed grade 2, fpga fabric speed grade -1. The ADC board has 4 source synchronous serial LVDS interfaces, so 4 clock pairs and 4 data pairs. The serial clock rate is 600 MHz. Unfortunately the clocks are not being routed to any of the regional clock capable pins (*_CC) of the Arria 10. The Arria 10 handbook seems to indicate that you can promote a non-dedicated clock pin to a global clock:

"Intel recommends providing the I/O PLL reference clock using a dedicated pin when possible. If you want to use a non-dedicated pin for the PLL reference clock, you have to explicitly promote the clock to a global signal in the Intel Quartus Prime software. "

Does this mean it is possible to operate the LVDS SERDES using the ADC clocks, promoted to a global pin?

Could this method work, or is there a different way to interface with this serial stream?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

I would strongly recommend to use a dedicated clock pin , if you are using Altera LVDS IP , other wise you may encounter some fitter issues when using Altera LVDS IP.

RPett4
Beginner

The boards are already designed so I can't move the pins. If I promote the pin to a global clock, use that for the SERDES, and the design still meets timing, will it work or not?

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi,

Hope the issue is resolved with solution provided in the private message

RPett4
Beginner

I have not seen a private message related to this issue. Can you resend?

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Can you please check again.

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Kindly let me know your updated status .

Regards,

Rahul S

RPett4
Beginner

Yes, thank you I have now received the private message. I will try what you suggest.

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the acknowledgement

Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

Kindly let me know, if you need further assistance.