FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5924 Discussions

Arria II GX PCIe w/ Linux PCIe driver

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

With the PCIe reference design, hip_a2gx_gen1_x1 project, built and programmed into the Arria II GX, activated the Linux altpciechdma driver. dmesg shows the following output; 

altpciechdma: module is from the staging directory, ... 

altpciechdma: init(), built at Jan 28 2010 02:14:12 

and then nothing else. lspci does not show any altera (or unknown) devices on the PCI bus, either before or after modprobe'ing the altpciechdma driver. 

Ideas?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

lspci should show Altera devices on the bus even before you start the altpciechdma Linux driver. 

First solve that problem. Loading the driver will not work otherwise. 

(Note the driver just expects a good device ID, it cannot change anything.)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

lspic -xxxvvvv

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I know this thread is outdated a bit but I've been exploring this concept online and have had a hard time finding concrete answers. I was hoping someone here at the Altera forum would know best on a few of the specifics. 

Does anyone know if the altpciechdma Linux driver source is availalbe? If so where? I've been trying to get a custom Linux PCIe driver to write to my CycloneIV device, and using this as a reference would be super helpful! I've gotten the write mechanism (and a DMA read mechanism) working under VxWorks but it's a bit harder to do in Linux. I can lscpi my device no problem. 

More importantly, does anyone know if there is a need for a generic Linux driver for reading and writing to some sort of Altera supported hard PCIe setup? Ie. Altera would provide an app note on setting up PCIe for Linux comms to some device. And the actual Linux device driver would be open-source and available. If there is, and it doesn't exist I'm willing to make it but it would be nice to have Altera's support on the matter.  

It would be amazing if the Linux kernel sources contained support for PCIe FPGAs. 

Thoughts? 

~Andy
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Perfect. Thank you! 

I'll follow up here once I get it working. I'm targeting a Cyclone IV and using Ubuntu 11.10. 

Might even try to work out the read functionality as the notes on the top of the driver source say it uses a "dummy read."
0 Kudos