FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Avalon MM BFM - test program

Sushmita
Beginner

Hi,

I referred to the Avalon Verification IP suite user guide along with the example design given the document.
In the zip file, for 1x1 master - slave design, there is testbench (tb.sv) which instantiates qsys top dut and an example test program(test_program.sv).

I want to use the BFMs with my custom IP containing 1 master and 1 slave in the top, I am getting few doubts with respect to the test program and the APIs mentioned in the user guide.
I tried to simulate my dut with the test program provided in the example design with little modifications, and below are the issues/ doubts I am facing.

I am expecting the master bfm to send me some particular write data ( avs_writedata ) at address 0 (avs_address ) whenever the <avs_write> is high.
But using the test program for write transction, I am not getting any master bfm signals.
The test bench runs for few cycles displaying info messages, then stops simulation with this message - " FAILURE : verbosity_pkg.abort_simulation: abort the simulation due to fatal error incident ".

1) What is the purpose of test program? I see the APIs being used in test program.
Can I use the test program directly in my test bench to start write transaction?

2) If no, please tell me how and where to use the APIs ( in test bench or test program)?
Should I be using the test program in test bench as given in example design?

3) Do I need to modify the test program according to my custom Ip transaction requirements?

Please suggest the changes/modifications i should do to the existing test program.sv or testbench( attached below), since I am new to system verilog and all this confusing me.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Isaac_V_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Here is a guide that you can check, here you can take a look at how to simulate custom components.

It is a complete flow chart that you will see at page 22 on the link [1]

Also, you can check this tutorial of how to simulate a Nios ll processor design, it is very helpful. [2]

[1] https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/tt/tt_qsys_intro.pdf

[2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw3rr76QEIc

Let me know if any of this info works for you.

Best regards.

Isaac_V_Intel
Employee

Hello Ssrb,

Did these info works for you?

Best regards.