FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits

Basic Problems With DE1

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Group, 

I just received a DE1 development kit to learn about the ALtera products. I have no prior experience using FPGA's. 

I installed the "Web Based" free Quartus II design software on my Windows 7 operating system. When I started the Quartus software, it asked me three questions about using the software...get a license for 150 days, continue 30 day evaluation, add a license file ???? I thought the web version was free ? Also, the tutorials for DE1 didn't seem to answer what was the correct answer. 

Another problem, I opened the Tutorials for the DE1 on the enclosed CD to learn about Quartus use with schematic capture, but, the Tutorial was written around the DE2 board and the references to the "light" project do not work since the board pinouts/schematic/Cyclone part are different between DE1 and DE2. 

Is there some "basic" startup help available ? 

Marc
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i haven't seen the get a license for 150 days message. could you post a screen shot?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5507  

This is the screen shot.  

Marc
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

interesting, i've never seen that before 

The Quartus II Web Edition license is good for 150 days. The Quartus II Subscription Edition license is of unlimited duration for professors. 

http://www.altera.com/education/univ/support/faq/unv-faq.html
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

O.K. then, what do I do ? 

The 150 day option takes me to an Altera web site, with instructions to find my internet address ?  

All I want is to use the software and learn about the Altera products. 

Also, the tutorials talk about a DE2 design...however, the CD that they came on is labeled DE1 ? 

Marc
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are apparently installing an old Quartus version. It's assuming the old Web Edition license scheme. The old version should work for Cyclone II and DE-1. Alternatively you can download recent Quartus V11.1. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Another problem, I opened the Tutorials for the DE1 on the enclosed CD to learn about Quartus use with schematic capture, but, the Tutorial was written around the DE2 board and the references to the "light" project do not work since the board pinouts/schematic/Cyclone part are different between DE1 and DE2. 

--- Quote End ---  

I see, that the tutorials on the DE-1 CD are referring to DE-2. Apparently DE-1 tutorials don't exist. The differences between both boards aren't huge and all demonstration projects on the CD are for DE-1. If you miss the original DE-1 CD, it can be downloaded rom Terasic: 

http://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?language=english&categoryno=53&no=83&partno=4
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FvM, 

Thanks for the information. I downloaded the new Web version of Quartus and so far it's O.K. 

I removed the old version (7.2) from my computer. I noticed that I now have two versions of NIOS, 7.2 and 11.1. 

Should I remove the 7.2 version ? 

Marc
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The old NIOS version doesn't make sense without Quartus 7.2. You can however keep multiple Quartus versions on your computer. By starting the respective quartus.exe, all enviroment variables, drivers etc. are switched and kept until you change to the other version.  

But I think it's a good idea to use the recent version.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem. I have stratixIII devkit. Quartus II 11.1sp1 Web Edition says "Error (20005): A license file is required to enable compilation of your design for the Stratix III family of devices" 

I understand that although I bought stratixIII dev kit, I can't compile a code without buying Quartus license.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

the devkit comes with a 1 year Quartus II license. take a look at the documentation

0 Kudos