FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5922 Discussions

BeMicro Max 10 Board - LED Blink Project Using Quartus Prime 16.0.0 Lite

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am creating my first LED Blink project using the BeMicro Max 10 FPGA Kit. I am following an example from YouTube that uses a previous version of Quartus 15.0, and the code is written in Verilog. When I compile, I get this error: Error (12007): Top-level design entity "LEDBlink" is undefined. How do I define the top-level? 

NOTE: The project file is saved in Desktop\Blink\LEDBlink.qpf, and the verilog file is saved as Desktop\Blink\blink.v.  

Here is the verilog code... 

module blink(clk, LED); 

input clk; 

output LED; 

reg [31:0]count; 

assign LED = count[25]; 

always@(posedge clk) 

begin 

count <= count + 1; 

end 

endmodule 

Thanks! 

Dan
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, your design need a top file to export your module(s) to external pin. 

I suggest you to copy a working project and customize to fit your need. 

On original project from BEMICRO examples USERLED is a vector using the led on board, you can assign your led signals to just one. 

If you wish to design from scratch then create TOP file, open the schematics find where clock is fed to board and wich led pin you wish to drive, compile assign pin to package then rebuild and transfer to FPGA. 

Next step depend on your choice. 

Regards 

Roberto
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

You can set the TOP file in Assignments / settings / general / and there is a field in the dialog box where you can select the top level entity. 

If you start from scratch you need to select the type of FPGA you are using you can do this in Assignments / Device and you need a pin configuration as well. The simplest way to get this is to open and existing configuration and open pin planner, there you can export an existing pin configuration. To import the pin configuration in your new program use assignments / import assignments.  

Do not go to pin planner to import assignments in your new configuration. 

Best Regards, 

Johi.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Johi, at first thread is dormant from long time, following MicroMax board tutorial I think some way to use FPGA from scratch show how to use IDE. 

I don't know BeMicromax 10 I simply barely used, I followed a Deca course showed how to use LED in a similar manner, after that it was necessary to assign at almost clock and LED to pins. 

Best way is to have at hands the script that assign external pins to symbolic name. 

Best regards 

Roberto
0 Kudos