FPGA, SoC, And CPLD Boards And Kits
FPGA Evaluation and Development Kits
5892 Discussions

BeMicro SDK: PIN C6 (VREFB8N0) is assigned to RAM_CS#

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have quite a few questions for the BeMicro SDK, but one at a time. 

The support material is pretty lacking and doesn't even include a pin assignment. I made one based on the schematics, but when I try to instantiate the DDR memory controller, it fails to place with the message: 

"Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dq[8] in pin location E8 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dq[9] in pin location E7 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dq[10] in pin location E6 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dq[11] in pin location A7 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dq[12] in pin location B7 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dq[13] in pin location B6 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dq[14] in pin location B5 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dq[15] in pin location A5 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

..." 

Looking at the schematics, I do see that the lower half of mem_dq lives in Bank 7 which does indeed have its VREF hooked up to 1.8 V, however Bank 8 has its VREF assigned to chip select! 

Is this a bug? Any suggestions to how to workaround it (other than wasting half the SDRAM and only use the lower-order byte)? 

Thanks 

Tommy
0 Kudos
17 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FWIW, dropping the higher order byte didn't help: 

--- Quote Start ---  

Error: Cannot place I/O pin mem_dqs[0] in pin location C8 -- I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available 

--- Quote End ---  

I've shot a mail at Arrow hoping to make some progress.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Any progress with your efforts? I'm currently trying to get answers for the BeMicro SDK from Arrow too. Their BSP is a joke (at least what I have been able to find), it does not even include support for DDR RAM, microSD, or Ethernet.  

But there is a pin assignment file, it is just hard to find. 

In the Zip file "BeMicro_SDK_Lab_Materials_v1_22" there is a sub folder "Optional_HW_Lab". In that folder there is another zip that contains a file "pin_assignments.tcl" that has what you might need. 

David
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks. The original zip file with support material didn't contain the Optional_HW_Lab subfolder. 

I did get an answer (multiple actually) from Arrow. The essence is that the Altera DDR controller doesn't support mobile DDR so they used 3rd party IP (same for the 

SDcard). 

This was an unexpected upset and makes the BeMicro SDK a lot less attractive, 

unless some alternative way of using the onboard DDR SDRAM becomes available. 

I'm still considering rolling my own controller, but it's outside my comfort zone and 

would be a non-trivial undertaking.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've ran into the exact same problem today. Spent lots of time until I found this post. Thanks for posting the answer from Arrow.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got an answer promising more information within the next few days. Apparently the biggest problem is the Micron memory requires micron IP.  

They weren't clear if they were going to release a version of the project with their own IP or if they were going to release a version that has standalone IP but we will see. 

I think their web page is more than a little misleading for this product.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

According to this blog (search for BeMicro in the page) 

http://www.fpgacentral.com/aggregator/sources/26?page=2 

"Altera selects Microtronix as Preferred Partner for Mobile DDR Memory Controller IP Core" 

"Microtronix has enhanced their Multi-port SDRAM Memory Controller IP Core, to support Mobile DDR memory devices on Cyclone IV family of FPGAs. A free BeMicro hardware reference design and 1-year OpenCore Plus evaluation license for the Microtronix MDDR Memory Controller IP Core is available online for immediate download." 

And Google led me to: 

http://www.microtronix.com/ip-cores/arrow-bemicro-memory-controller-evaluation-license 

I don't have my board yet, but it looks like you could get an evaluation license from that page. 

I also found this link to the BeMicro-SDK zip file 

http://www.arrownac.com/offers/altera-corporation/altera-bemicro/getting_started.html 

The zip file contains BeMicro_SDK_Lab_Materials_v1_22 

Please post if you have any luck getting the DDR to work, and I'll do likewise once I receive my board. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I got further and I will share what I've got so far. 

The BeMicro_SDK_LAB_Materials zip file contains a compiled sof and a compiled .sopcinfo but it does not contain the source for the hardware images. The main reason for that is that they used three different pieces of third party IP. Namely they used the Microtronix RAM controller, an SD Host Controller IP from SLS corp, and the C to Hardware tools from Altera. 

I managed to get ahold of some information about the original hardware project. I've built an image without the C to Hardware stuff and without the SD card controller and using the opencores evaluation version of the Microtronix memory controller. 

I got a linux kernel up and running but so far no luck with the networking. I enabled the "Altera triple speed ethernet (SLS) driver in the kernel and the Nat Semi Phy. It recognizes ETH0 but it says it cannot talk to the Phy. I am wondering if this is the cause:http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18394 (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18394). 

Going to try that fix and see how far I get. I'll share my work once I get something up and running.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

According to this blog (search for BeMicro in the page) 

http://www.fpgacentral.com/aggregator/sources/26?page=2 

"Altera selects Microtronix as Preferred Partner for Mobile DDR Memory Controller IP Core" 

"Microtronix has enhanced their Multi-port SDRAM Memory Controller IP Core, to support Mobile DDR memory devices on Cyclone IV family of FPGAs. A free BeMicro hardware reference design and 1-year OpenCore Plus evaluation license for the Microtronix MDDR Memory Controller IP Core is available online for immediate download." 

And Google led me to: 

http://www.microtronix.com/ip-cores/arrow-bemicro-memory-controller-evaluation-license 

I don't have my board yet, but it looks like you could get an evaluation license from that page. 

I also found this link to the BeMicro-SDK zip file 

http://www.arrownac.com/offers/altera-corporation/altera-bemicro/getting_started.html 

The zip file contains BeMicro_SDK_Lab_Materials_v1_22 

Please post if you have any luck getting the DDR to work, and I'll do likewise once I receive my board. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

so did you get a board? does the MDDR work, I'm looking to get the dev kit, but if MDDR does not work then it's useless
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The evaluation IP for the kit only lets you run for one hour at a time but it does work for me. 

David
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I got a linux kernel up and running but so far no luck with the networking. I enabled the "Altera triple speed ethernet (SLS) driver in the kernel and the Nat Semi Phy. It recognizes ETH0 but it says it cannot talk to the Phy. I am wondering if this is the cause:http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18394 (http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18394). 

Going to try that fix and see how far I get. I'll share my work once I get something up and running. 

--- Quote End ---  

Did you connect the PHY_RESET# to the RESET_N of the SoC? If you did not, that is the problem. 

However there seem to be more issues: 

none of the two possible drivers do talk correctly with the Phy on the MII interface (at least with me). 

I happened to get the OpenCores (IGOR mac) somehow talking to the Phy, but it only worked one signle time and the packets were bogus (Mac packet size was far smaller than the UDP payload). 

Hope this helps, oh and the Altera TSE design worked fine with the simple socket server example, so it is not a SoC-Design problem: I'd guess it is somewhere within the driver (which does not surprise me). But I could not find the issue until now. 

Oh and another thing: Guess you will not need the national phy driver: the phy on the beMicro SDK is not in supported by the driver. However the generic phy routines seem to be quite ok for this phy: just to be save I also tried implementing the interrupt routines for the phy, but that does not really help. 

Lorenz
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

davidsmoot, 

Could you please post the settings that you used in the sopc builder for the Microtronix SDRAM controller? I'm looking for Bank Address bits, Row Address bits, Column Address bits, Total Number of Discrete Memory Devices, etc. that are in the Memory Tab of the parameters. That would be appreciated. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the BeMicro SDK, and downloaded the Microtronix memory controller. I built my system using SOPC, and instantiated the system in my high-level entity (VHDL). When I compile I get the following errors, and I am not sure what is the problem.  

Any help is highly appreciated! 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:0:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:0:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:1:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:1:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:2:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:2:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:3:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:3:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:4:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:4:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:5:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:5:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:6:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:6:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:7:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_ddr_master_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:7:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_gen_ddr_slave_dqs:1:gen_ddr_slave_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:0:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_gen_ddr_slave_dqs:1:gen_ddr_slave_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:0:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_gen_ddr_slave_dqs:1:gen_ddr_slave_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:1:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_gen_ddr_slave_dqs:1:gen_ddr_slave_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:1:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_gen_ddr_slave_dqs:1:gen_ddr_slave_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:2:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_gen_ddr_slave_dqs:1:gen_ddr_slave_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:2:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

Error: The DDIO_OUT WYSIWYG primitive "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_gen_ddr_slave_dqs:1:gen_ddr_slave_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:3:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|ddio_outa[0]" feeding the node "bemicro_sys:bemicro_sys_inst|mtx_avalon_sdram_0:the_mtx_avalon_sdram_0|mtx_sdram_controller:sdram|mtx_sdram_ddr_bidir:\gen_ddr_datapath:gen_cyclone_datapath:gen_ddr_dqs_groups:0:gen_gen_ddr_slave_dqs:1:gen_ddr_slave_dqs|altddio_bidir:\gen_ciii_dq:gen_dq_loop:3:ciii_dq|ddio_bidir_86k:auto_generated|input_cell_h[0]" has multiple fan-outs 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Do you have a working project setup with the evaluation IP that you are willing to share?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Has anyone found a solution for the originally posted problem: Altera's DDR controller yielding 

"I/O standard assigned to pin requires VREF value and VREF pin corresponding to pin location not available"
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm afraid there is no solution besides either using Microtronix's IP or writing your own. 

I haven't tried the former and just as I started the latter, my BeMicro SDK appears to 

have died, so that solved my problem :rolleyes: 

Hopefully someone will make a new device like it or the micro DE0 when Cyclone V finally 

comes out next year. 

Tommy
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks for the reply Tommy.  

What bugs me about this is it seems the Altera design is imposing an unnecessarily strict IO Standard. The Microtronix IP works fine with the pins defined as standard 1.8V... so why does Altera insist they be SSTL? 

If there was some way to disable the check in the Altera IP, could it perhaps be made to work? I wouldn't even know where to look for this, mind you...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Got some more info to add... check this out: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd01042008_479.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=mobile 

"The Cyclone® IV devices use non-DQS read capture whereby the DQS signal is ignored." Which they say doesn't work for Mobile DDR (more details at the page above). 

So how does the Microtronix IP work if the Cyclone IV doesn't have the requisite read captuer? By "using the PCIe delay feature and logic elements".  

Sounds like they figured out a workaround which uses the PCIe hardware of the Cyclone. Presumably Altera's DDR controller does not contain this workaround. 

SO, assuming one wanted to do this themselves... anyone know how to go about "using the PCIe delay feature and logic elements" of the Cyclone IV?  

Cheers, 

Don
0 Kudos